Why Would We Do This?

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Why Would We Do This?

Post by JK »

I have been going through our digital pictures looking for something that might match Big Pete's latest photo thread, when I came across a series of photos that start with this:
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (133.78 KiB) Viewed 10051 times
Any thoughts as to what is going on here?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Why Would We Do This?

Post by The Dieselduck »

Looks like you're getting ready for a pretty serious lift. I like the attention to details, rubber on the beams' edges.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Looks like a saddle has been fabricated and fitted over the beam. exactly over the rubber fenders, was the plan to put a wire over the beam to suspend a chain block?
If the so the saddle should not have had sharp edges but radiused ends so that the rope would not be damaged.
I also note the chain block being hoisted by a chain block, the lower block appears to be fouling the I beam and the chains the pipe. Probably not best practice, but I have had to do similar things in the past. No ship can carry all the lifting gear required for every possible job.
I also note that the exhaust lagging in the background has been painted a very fetching shade of Pink! but I don't suppose that is the reason you posted this.
Look forward to hearinbg more.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Good eye BP on the chainfall. I think, given where this is all located that they were using the 1st chainfall to haul the others up. New eyes on something sure surprises a person. I have been looking at that pink since 2002 without blinking! It is actually the faded red exhaust blankets on the silencer.
Yes, Martin it was a big lift. The beams are the former boiler exhaust supports that were left behind when the ship was converted to diesel. In order to avoid bending the flange, a channel bar was bent to a uniform shape around the top flange. The MaK engine block that was to be lifted had a dry weight, with the liners, of about 15,000kg.
P3.jpg
P3.jpg (130.42 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
P1.jpg
P1.jpg (141.21 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
Dsc00002.jpg
Dsc00002.jpg (206.36 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Here the block is being lifted and moved to one side:
Dsc00001.jpg
Dsc00001.jpg (253.12 KiB) Viewed 10034 times
:

This is where the block is going to sit until the crankshaft and bedplate are removed:
Dsc00007.jpg
Dsc00007.jpg (230.37 KiB) Viewed 10034 times
There is just enough room to set the block down alongside the aux.gen :
Dsc00017.jpg
Dsc00017.jpg (241.46 KiB) Viewed 10034 times
The original crankshaft in the bedplate:
Dsc00011.jpg
Dsc00011.jpg (296.29 KiB) Viewed 10034 times
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

The new bedplate being chainfalled in through the ships side. We have maanged to squeeze the hull entry hole between the icebelt and the deck above. Then though a compartment, an alleyway then the engineroom.
Wed 7th-2.jpg
Wed 7th-2.jpg (377.57 KiB) Viewed 10033 times
Some exhaust manifolds being moved in. You can see the overhead eyes that have been installed and tested to safe working load:
Dsc00024.jpg
Dsc00024.jpg (205.11 KiB) Viewed 10033 times
A look at where this is all taking place:
Wed 7th-5.jpg
Wed 7th-5.jpg (382.1 KiB) Viewed 10033 times
Looking out to the ships side-a little artistry:
Dsc00029.jpg
Dsc00029.jpg (148.1 KiB) Viewed 10033 times
The block set down on the bedplate with the new crankshaft:
P4.jpg
P4.jpg (149.85 KiB) Viewed 10033 times
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Jasus, That's some workout.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Gave me some grey hairs.
I'll post some more pictures, when I find them, on the rail system out the hull.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

It certainly looks like hard work chainblocking all that around!
Quite a feat of organisation and planning. I can see where the grey hairs came from!
If she was an old steamer that had been re-engined with a diesel engine, I would have thought she was so old that she would have been beyond economic repair when the crankshaft was destroyed.
What happened to the crankshaft by the way? There was probably a story behind that as well.

BP
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

The ships is aged, but the cost of replacing her is high. She'll be around after I am retired.
It is a MaK 16M453. The fuel pumps are designed for burning HFO and DFO and there are several different punch marks in the interior for alignment.
The pumps were rebuilt and the wrong punch used for alignment on 15 of the pumps. The pumps were set at 25% fuel at 0 rack. When it was started, it went into overspeed and threw a counterweight through the base and the crank was bent.
The oiler who was in the area when it was started, crawled under the deckplates to shut the fuel off. The engine could not be shut off by the controls or tripped locally. The counterweights are bolted on, when the torsional stress became too great the bolts failed. The Chief reported that he could feel the vibration in his cabin 4 decks up from the engine.
I went down 12 hours later after an extensive cleanup effort by the crew and oil was still rolling out of crevices everywhere. Everyone was very shaken, to say the least.
I will post more pictures as I get the chance.

And the chainfalls-LOL, I am so glad it wasn't me! The laborers labored very hard! As you know, a lot of pulling on the chain only lifts the hook a few inches and they were big chainfalls! They worked 6, 12 hour, days a week for 13 weeks, to strip the engine, move things in and out and rebuild the engine. The engine mfr rep retired not soon after with health issues. I have always believed that this job just about did him in.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

The fuel pump markings sound dangerous, an accident waiting to happen.
The Oiler was very brave and competent to shut the fuel valve off, the only way it could be stopped in that situation, I hope he was rewarded, if he hadn't done what he did the damage could have been far worse.
The old "Pully Haully" method of hoisting big lumps like that has largely been supplanted with power hoists, which is progress, but also reflects high labour costs and reducewd workforces everywhere. Few unskilled jobs like that left now.

BP
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

It was incredibly brave what the two men did in that engineroom, one tried to shut it down locally and the other shut the FO off. The engine and directly coupled generator would have disintegrated in a rather dramatic fashion without their coolness. They both were recognized for their actions.
The Contractor who did the job had 6 fitters and they did everything from chainfalls to reaming.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

A couple of more:

Looking down into the engineroom along the railings:
Dsc00004.jpg
Dsc00004.jpg (217.78 KiB) Viewed 9982 times
Support at the engineroom bulkhead. The rails lay on the hull on the outboard end and were braketed:
Dsc00002.jpg
Dsc00002.jpg (291.96 KiB) Viewed 9982 times
The damaged bedplate being chainfalled out:
Tues 6th-6.jpg
Tues 6th-6.jpg (344.59 KiB) Viewed 9982 times
The new crankshaft going in. The bracket is bolted to the crankshaft at the web, where the counterweight is fitted. By the persons hand you can see the machine rollers which was fitted under both the brackets and the bedplate to make things smoother.
Dsc003.jpg
Dsc003.jpg (217.41 KiB) Viewed 9982 times
Dsc00002a.jpg
Dsc00002a.jpg (225.5 KiB) Viewed 9982 times
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

The remnants of the counterweight bolts and pins. One bolt failed due to the torsoinal stess and the second twisted off:
bolt.jpg
bolt.jpg (256.3 KiB) Viewed 9982 times
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Post by offshoresnipe »

JK,
Thanks for the post, great pictures and information.