Loss of water pressure problem

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
dieselab
Bilge Dweller

Loss of water pressure problem

Post by dieselab »

Our V16 ALCO engine was recently overhauled and since then we have a problem with a loss of water pressure. The problem doesn't seem to occur at idle and not even at full rpms only when the engine is on load. The jacket water pressure slowly drops until there is no pressure at all. At the same time the level in the expansion tank rises considerably. When load is removed the pressure tends to return and the expansion tank level returns to pretty much its original level. There is obviously air in the water at this point. We have done hydrostatic tests on all the heads, and the after cooler with no luck. The water pump doesn't lose water from its seal when not running so I don,t think it is taking in air while running. Any suggestions???
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Loss of water pressure problem

Post by JK »

cracked liner. Seems to me I have heard this same thing happening on a 8 cylinder Deutz.
dieselab
Bilge Dweller

Post by dieselab »

I ended up finding which cylinder was the cause by cutting the fuel to each one while on load and watching the reaction in the expansion tank. Not sure if it is the head or the cylinder but at least we narrowed it down from 16cylinders to the one that is the problem.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Good idea. Doing bottom ends and pulling liners on those engines is such a pain. I would be interested in your findings.