Oil Fired Boiler Burners

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Oil Fired Boiler Burners

Post by JK »

lol, at the diet forum!
It took a couple of years ashore to realize that I was eating like I was still balancing against the motion of the ship for 24 hours a day and that the next day was going to be rough weather and the cooks couldn't produce a hot meal.
jimmys
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Glasgow Scotland

Post by jimmys »

The wonderful Allis Chalmers engine of Milwakee took a bit of beating, It was emergency on a number of T2 tankers I sailed on along with the wavy headed boilers. A pre war diesel for farm tractors. A little bit hot on these ships meant for one trip in wartime still sailing in the early eighties. Going up through Canada into the lakes and Chicago. There was a canal up at Toronto cant remember the name maybe still there. Around 1982. Road diesel, avgas and JP4 was the cargo. Texaco ships.
regards
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

One of the little ships I worked on had Vivian main engines. Underpowered, oversized and sounded like a sewing machine when they were running. It had to be the most boring ship I ever worked on and I was extremely delighted to get off. The Chief Engineer insisted on the LO temperatures (all manually adjusted) being kept fairly low. That way the oil leaks were minimized and the engines always looked pristine. LOL

They had a teapot for a boiler, if I remember correctly. It might have run at 30 psi.
I was so bored, I erased most of that ship out of my memory pretty quick, definitely a retirement job. A 4 hour watch was like 12 hours.