T.T.T.T.

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

T.T.T.T.

Post by Merlyn »

This is what we used to say when leaving port on a S.S.? Also we used to say it when it was time to leave the pub and get back to the ship?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: T.T.T.T.

Post by JK »

Up and down or round steam?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Round and rounder but not a hairdrier model?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

vertical or horizontal?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Horizontal jobby, beautifull bit of kit, the place where the kidney pads used to live? Proper engineering here.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Steam tiller?
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

No, not steam tiller, remember to see these you will need at least four vernier height gauges, one of the big " T's " is Turn ( asin turning the Tufnell now Tufnol I see ) worth a lot of money scrap, amount of nuts to undo you need an air wrench ( which we didn't have) a die nut for reassembly and the inventors name was Charlie?
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

Charlie Parsons?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Knew him then? Yes, your detective work is paying off again, are you yet again going to deprive me of my Stomper medal? If you do crack this one then what about US metallic Packing? Years ago I stomped Martin on this one so no conferring allowed.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

No Detective work, just intuitive leaps. Do you set cryptic crosswords in your spare time?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Can't do 'em, never have done, it's the plus gas you see, but I am still awaiting for the dual answer? Finger nails getting low now.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

I assume that we are talking about Sir Charley Parsons, inventor of the first practical Reaction turbine, as opposed to Curtiss who invented the first practical Impulse turbine, or Heros who invented a steam toy in ancient Roman times.

Therefore I assume that you would require 4 Vernier gauges to lift the top casing off the turbine without fouling the blades, one to measure the lift at each corner). The multiplicity of bolts to which you alluded earlier, being the bolts securing the top casing to the bottom casing.

So I assume the white Metal Kidney pads are the thrust bearings for the turbine. ( I remember reading that Sir frank Whittle had a problem with his early Jet Engines, they kept blowing up, but they were too "Top Secret" for the Air Ministry to allow him to talk to outsiders about the problem. Eventually they allowed him to talk to the steam Turbine experts at the admiralty who showed him that he had miscalculated the direction of the thrust in his jet engine, and advised him to fit the thrust bearing the other way round. Problem solved!)

I remember on the only steam Turbine ship that I sailed on back in 1973, that there was a mechanism to jack the rotating shaft forward at full load to reduce the Blade Tip clearances and increase the efficiency. When manoeuvring at low power, the increased tip clearance reduced the risk of contact due to unequal expansion of the rotor and casing, and the loss of efficiency was acceptable for short periods.

So I can see "Ts" for Turbine, Thrust and Tip Clearance, but I don't see where the 4th T comes from, unless it is Time?
Nor can I imagine the phrase combining them all.

Can anyone else save the site's reputation for never being stumped?

BP
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Can't believe that no one out there who ever sailed on a steam turbine ship does'nt know what this means.You are very close with some of the wording and the kidney pads (called kidney because they were shaped that way) were indeed white metal facings like a clutch plate, the Curtiss wheels were the astern bladings. What engineering masterpieces they were they to work on, HP, IP, and L.P. sets, we could repair blade stiffeners etc but any blades that were thrown or damaged then the rotor had to come out, a special jig like the lower half housing of the turbine sent to you and off it would go for repair and balancing. Stripped they were a sight to behold, incredible piece of precision engineering. Then out came the Pamatrada turbines with H.P. I.P. And L.P. all under one cover no expansion pipes visible. White metal also plays a big part is U.S. Metallic packing, don't forget that you must have been involved in regularly rotating the turbines when they had a head of steam to prevent the rotor from distortion against the casing, and guess what you must have been told" T.T.T.T.?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

P.S. A hair drier is a Gas Turbine of which there are a few about.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Re: T.T.T.T. And US metallic Packing

Post by Merlyn »

Well here I am again anchored off in the lee of Bum Island. Perhaps I am being a little premature but I find myself designing my Stomper Medal, hopefully of the decade and not just a yearly one. All things carefully considered I think it only fair that I ought to be presented with a fitting tribute and to that end I feel I ought to get my requests in now. What I have in mind is an HP kidney pad( not an IP or LP one ) as the latter two might present me with a negative bouyancy when getting out of the bath as I would have to wear an anchor chain to support same. Rewhitemetalled and machined (don't worry about the oil ways as I still have my trusty half round chisel and can still remember how to do the fancy patterns required ) on second thoughts though if I wait awhile till more people join up I could have had engraved that I had Stomped more people than today by having a larger no. Inscribed on it. Come on BP and AK you wouldn't want your names mentioned in vain so how about it? And you JK
Last edited by Merlyn on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.