telescope pipe

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
tianyayouzidu
Bilge Dweller

telescope pipe

Post by tianyayouzidu »

Dear friend,

Good day,

I want to ask a question about MAN B&W engine.

Some engineers do not take out telescope pipe, when they overhaul the piston, what you think about it, why should it be taken out?

Thank you in advance!

best regards
carbob
Leak Patrol
Currently located: St. John's, NL

Re: telescope pipe

Post by carbob »

Hi.

I work with a plant of 2 - 7S50MC B&W, Korean-built, engines and the manual states to always hang the telescopic pipe prior to turning the engine with a piston removed. The only reason I can see is to prevent any damage in case the crosshead inadvertantly rotates when the engine is turned. It`s only 4 bolts, so not a big deal anyway, unless you drop the spacer in the sump and have to go look for it!!

Hope this helps.

All the best.
HandyAndy
First Time Poster
Currently located: UK

Post by HandyAndy »

Hi,

carbob is perfectly correct; if the Telescopic Pipe is left in situ & the engine is turned then there is a possibility that the Crosshead will try to turn & will bend the pipe. In a worse-case scenario this can cause local overheating & crankcase explosion if it is not rectified.

I hope this helps
fever9ii
First Time Poster

Post by fever9ii »

true ,telescopic pipe needs to be suspended with piston out...but other way to go about it is by not turning engine post lifting piston...possible cos i hav a done a decab that way