Heavy lift, March 2002

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Heavy lift, March 2002

Post by JK »

I've been going through old files, clearing them out, when I came across these photos of the Zhen Hua 4 delivering a container crane in Halifax to Bedford Basin.
They had to time the delivery to an extremely low tide to get under the older suspension bridge.
Look at how low the ship is ballasted. I wonder how marginal she is on stability
Crane04.jpg
Crane02.jpg
crane.jpg
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: Heavy lift, March 2002

Post by Big Pete »

I Guess she was ballasted right down to get under the Bridge, once she was inside Harbour limits, there is no requirement to maintain a Freeboard.
BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I remember that, I was standing at the bottom of Jameson St, in Dartmouth. I believe it came from Colon, in Panama?
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Yes, BP. Just as a note, they are redecking that bridge. They have a gantry that travels along the suspension wires. They attach to a section, cut it loose, lower it to a barge, attach to the next section and raise it. The original girders are above the deck, the new decking have them under so there will be a view as you drive. They are going to raise the deck 3 feet or so when they are done to allow the larger ships more air space.
I have no idea where the delivery was from JJ.
My email folder is full of nuggets from 10-15 years ago.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Aye, but bringing in the gantry was several years before redecking began. I watched the transit of the crane with a friend who has been dead since 2003
Discourage incest, ban country "music".