Problem with separator OSD-2 - Westfalia

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
piccing
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Americana, São Paulo, Brazil

Problem with separator OSD-2 - Westfalia

Post by piccing »

Dear,

I have a problem with a purifier GEA Westfalia Separator OSD-2.

The purifier is leaking the liquid seal.
I've replaced all seals rings and it does not work.

Has anyone ever had a similar situation?

The water pressure to close and open the bowl is correct. I'm using to separate diesel oil and water.

When sealing water comes out with the water outlet, the oil leakage begins at the water outlet.
The oil output back pressure is still being maintained at 0 bar.

Thank you.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: Problem with separator OSD-2 - Westfalia

Post by Revolver »

I mean... It's for MDO, so gravity disc should be ok.

Other than that excessive flow rate of process fluid, inadequate rpm of the purifier, you did your seals...

Supply water is acting properly? Not just pressure, but if it's not closing when it should/leaking could cause it to back up.

Clean oil discharge Back pressure at 0bar? That doesn't sound right.
piccing
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Americana, São Paulo, Brazil

Post by piccing »

Let's go...
The flow rate is 900 liters per hour, according a data sheet of Westfalia Separator.
The RPM is correct. Motor on power direct, without frequency controller. I already measured the rotation.

I don't know how can I identify if is a leaking, because all seal rings are OEM, all surfaces are ok.

I saw a different detail:
- When I opened this purifier first time, the seals mounteds in botton part bowl (item 335 of image) it was a rectangular ring. The new seal ring now is an O-RING.
OSD-2 - Seal 335.png
- The height of the sealing edge on piston is variable between 2,5 and 2,7mm. The original height is 3 mm. I don't know if this is a problem.
- I was able to keep the purifier running with 0,5 bar for 14 hours, without discharge.
When I started the automatic control with discharge between 1 hour, started too the to break seal and alarms.

The purifier work intermittent. Sometimes work in a good operation and sometimes with breaking liquid seal.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

I've never seen seal #335 be an o-ring, only ever a rectangular ring.
Is everything thoroughly cleaned, no scale build up making things sticky?

Do you have the manual, does it have a design back pressure value?

Any update?
mdjahirul
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Bangladesh

Post by mdjahirul »

Hi,

Few days back we faced same problem. OSE 20 Westfalia separator. Used for separation of engine oil Mobil M-440 (SAE 40). Oil was leaking through water outlet line. The reason was inappropriate separation temp. Heat exchangers was not able to raise required separation temp 95 degC. As a result interface was creating near bowl boundary and breaking water seal. After replaced the heat exchanger we solved the problem.

But in your case its Diesel so I am not sure how you deal with temp. Is it possible to provide the softcopy of manual so that I can have a look over the system and if possible guide you.

Thanks and best regards,
Jahirul