Estimating for dummies

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
TDC
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: St. Johns, NL

Estimating for dummies

Post by TDC »

Switching gears from my usual rant on CR system issues, I would like to toss this out there for your comment.
Have you ever noticed that some guys in the industry have a real talent for remembering numbers , figures , when it come to estimating costs. I am not one of those guys , I am back to the old TI-83 punching numbers and calculations etc. I recently took part in a budget estimate for an upcoming project and realized in the last 5 years I must have done the same exercise 3 times or more, each time starting over from scratch. I thought it might be a good project to come up with some "for dummies" type rules of thumb for ballpark estimating different OPEX costs for different types of vessels for example
2.2 ton/hr fuel consumption for vessel 16000kw,
1.1 ton/hr 5000kw diesel,
0.24 ton/person/day pot water consumption .
$21.5 /person/day food cost
$22/run hr maintenance cost 2 x 8400 kw
open to any and all suggestions,
Thanks
TDC
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Estimating for dummies

Post by JK »

Yes you get good at numbers after doing them over and over.
For repairs, use Don Butlers Guide to Ship Repair estimates.
That helps you remember to include the backside of the bulkhead :oops:
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Top Dead Centre,
Any news on your CR probs?
Anything new we can all learn from?
Mr. MAN?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
TDC
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: St. Johns, NL

Post by TDC »

Still working on it, nothing new to report since my post from aug 30th. However we got a fire lit in Germany and got some senior MAN engineers flying to meet with us in 2 weeks, hopefully this will yield some progress. I still stand by my original findings that this is design issues but time will tell. Lets see what they have to say and see if the pinky ring is smarter than the adjustable wrench lol.
TDC