Alfa Laval FOPX Separator

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Alfa Laval FOPX Separator

Post by TxMarEng »

Has anyone ever experienced corrosion or pitting of the heavy phase paring disk on an Alfa Laval FOPX separator handling HFO?
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Alfa Laval FOPX Separator

Post by JK »

It's been 20 years since I worked on one and my outfit uses MDO.
Sorry, no help here.
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

I have worked with an FOPX for the last three and a half years separating IFO 180 and the only problems we encounter on board is plugging up of the water distribution system with scale because we re-supply our fresh water from city supply while reloading. Even with the scale we have never experienced erosion. Until next time, Sébastien
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Post by TxMarEng »

Hello Sebastien

You can eliminate much of the scale by installing a de-ionizing filter in the operating water supply line to the separators. They are available for around $150-200 and greatly reduce the presence of scle in the operating water system.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I saw your post here and I thought I had run across this problem before, and had taken some notes; I wanted to dig through my records, but alas I believe I was mistaken.

I was having some weird corrosion problems on an FOPX611 machine (one of four) the others were fine, where we found corrosion on the bearing carrier for the vertical shaft. In that same rebuild we also found some pitting on the under side of the bowl, where the operating water distributor meets up with the bowl. I could not figure out where these came from since it was strange place for someone to use a hammer if you know what I mean. I believe this is why I waited to answer your question. This machine was part of a dual set up; one set up in two separate rooms. The Port Purifier room had two machines running full time, lots of heat and attention. One of the machine on the stb side room was diesel only separator, which we hardly used, and the other the one, was the one with significant corrosion throughout. I figure the ventilation of the sludge tank was inadequate, or the heating of the sludge tank was too low or hi and pushing condensation back into the machines. But who really knows...

The problem I experienced was with the bowl, and some pitting there, as you can see in the picture, but to answer your question, I cant recall any major corrosion issues with the paring disc or the operating device, although I am certain some did show signs of it, but my accurate memory eludes me.
Attachments
Vertical shaft bearing carrier showing some corrosion.
Vertical shaft bearing carrier showing some corrosion.
FO2 MS - July 05.05.jpg (259.46 KiB) Viewed 10213 times
underside of bowl showing some pitting, looks like hammering, perhaps erosion, but nothing there really necessitates that. So ...?
underside of bowl showing some pitting, looks like hammering, perhaps erosion, but nothing there really necessitates that. So ...?
FO2 MS - July 05.08.jpg (176.18 KiB) Viewed 10215 times
FO2 MS - July 05.09.jpg (95.71 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Oh yeah, I also wanted to comment on TexMarEng's input. The inline filters for the operating water is crucial. Most ships I sailed on already had strainers if not filters installed, but the problem I often run across is that they are not checked, and after 5 year or so they plug up and cause all sorts of weird alarms. Its one of the first things I check on a new ship.

Cheers. good question
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
tianyayouzidu
Bilge Dweller

Post by tianyayouzidu »

I have worked with FOPX609,using HFO380, also having this problem.

In my oppinion, the corrosion coming from two ways:

1. Operating fresh water qulity not good, long time using causing problems.

2.Fuel oil qulity bad, may have much water in side, cause acid corrosion.

Above is my personal oppinion, hope will help you!
fracman
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: gom

Post by fracman »

WE HAD SOME PITTING ON ONE WHEN I FIRST GOT TO THE VESSEL. EARLIER CREW SAID IT HAD BEEN THERE FOR A WHILE. CAUSE WE BELIEVE WAS A SEA WATER LEAK TO A FUEL TANK THAT WENT UNNOTICED.