Celebrity Edge Rollout

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Celebrity Edge Rollout

Post by JK »

This is interesting, the Celebrity Edge has what looks like a reverse rake bow.
She is light ship in the photos, so it really gives a idea of how the suprestructure towers.

https://www.marineinsight.com/shipping- ... ign=buffer

A photo showing the moving deck? lounge? beach?
http://content.cleancruising.com.au/ima ... LEDG_1.jpg

I wonder where they get on the platform...
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: Celebrity Edge Rollout

Post by Merlyn »

The very latest in top heavy Tupperware dishes.
The moving " raft " type job is a large bar/ restaurant bolted / welded onto the Stb. Side of the ship amidships which climbs up and down the whole area of 13 decks from the waterline up.
The Magic Carpet its called.
This obviously is some designers brainwave to ensure all cruisers are instantly drawn to this monstrosity as opposed to being drawn to a ship with an inboard restaurant which of course in their eyes is now " dated " to say the least.
Start your soup on the waterline and your steak on the top deck eyeing up the balcony cabins Y fronts clearly displayed at eye level for thirteen decks high which in any ones book is a lot of Y fronts to be counting left to right, drag the meal out and count even more going up and down f.o.c.
Super.
Two large girders/r.s.j's carry it and it projects out from the ships side over the water.
Great for coming alongside, got to be doubly careful in docking, don't want to leave it behind on the quay.
Especially if it's occupied.
Wonder if it floats when it shears off and indeed to that end if it's fitted with an inboard engine.
Wonder if it's antifouled, that would be a tell tale jobby.
Whole new experience being cast adrift complete with Barman onboard, different to say the least.
Maybe in a bit of roughers you can only dine on deck 10 and up, there has to be some backlash in the slides/cables/rams whatever to start working from day one here.
Wonder if it's rack and pinion?
Perhaps the bar man has a set of feeler gauges in his back pocket together with his bottle opener so he can measure the backlash before opening up.
Image paying all that money and being deprived of a gin for a few thous. excess.
Looking at the spec. online it all appears to be GRP including the seats and cabin designs.
A sea of white and green GRP and cabins etc is displayed and looking at the video tour of the ship you cannot help but notice everything is square in construction, i.e. no curves or radii anywhere.
A long way from the lovely old days of brass and cared for teak with varnished deck rails.
Three D glasses are supplied and the boast is you can view behind panels and this includes bizarrely the engine room.
It says this is achieved by HD cameras everywhere and big screens for all passys to watch.
Looks like this signals the end of the 1 am Woodbine run being smoked when having a pee in the bilges whilst doing the ER patrol rounds T's and P's as you could well achieve world wide stardom here re the internet.
Could be the launch of a new TV contest series here.
"Show most take all whilst afloat " type of show.
Another benefit lost here.
Personally looking at the inside for me working on this ship with so much white blandness would cause a kind of snow blindness but there again as 3D goggles are issued perhaps the crew wear anti snow blindness sunglasses to stop them going blind.

Perhaps the ugly bow is for some kind of modern take on ice breaking but for sure it's a ugly looking ship which supports the old adage " if she looks good then rest assured she will be good " theory.
Haven't yet worked out whether it's on shafts or pods, seems restricted somewhat on engineering details as yet but watch the news anyway and if you don't see a breakdown then you know it's on shafts.
So when you see a well lit floating bar adrift at sea next with no nav lights fitted don't steam on by, it's not a illusion and there could well be a glass lurking somewhere with your initials on it.
Well you certainly never stop learning and for me I have to confess even in my worst nightmare nothing resembling a "Magic Carpet " looking like this could ever be envisaged however much ale one drank.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

LMAO!!
Yfronts...it never even occurred to me.

I looked at it and considered the sheer amount of structure they had to put in to support the monstrosity.

JollyJack. Would this be designed to 1.5 or 2.2, do you think? How would you even test it. Fill it with waterbags and raise it?

Pax watching the engineroom. Next there will be complaints they they can't hear the engineers (relax dear, they are probably swearing)

This stuff is evolving faster then the rules I expect. Look at all of those humungous lifeboats with 300 pax capacity, they were an exemption, are they approved yet? We all know crew is expendable, they go over the stern on slides.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Maybe the Moving Restaurant could be fitted with Engines like Merlyn said and be used as an Emergency Evacuation System instead of Lifeboats, it would be much easier to coax the pax into it than conventional lifeboats.
BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Especially if there’s a bar. Tequila makes everyone brave.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

It's a BOB machine, it's not a ship to me.
BOB?
Bolt on Bar.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.