MAN 48/60 pre-lube pump

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

MAN 48/60 pre-lube pump

Post by The Dieselduck »

Looking for a pre-lube pump for Big Iron at BCIT in Vancouver - the MAN 9L48/60 training engine.

Looking for cheap / free unit, used or new to pre lube the engine, to prevent damage when turning it. Any info / ideas, specs, brands etc. to help them out, would be appreciated, send me an email or reply.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: MAN 48/60 pre-lube pump

Post by Merlyn »

Five gallon drum, sharp piece of string, tap on the bottom, old injector pipe and union, reducer adaptor, any good?
Think the airfare would kill me though?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Sorry, forgot the skyhook.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Merlyn's gravity feed should do the job, plumb in a small bore bleed from the L.O. Rail ( the pressure regulating valve on the rail will automatically regulate the rail pressure by dumping excess oil back into the crankcase.
Arrange a slightly larger bore overflow pipe from the top of the drum back into the crankcase for when the engine is running.
Arrange an outlet pipe with a non return valve and either a solenoid valve or a manually opening valve to feed oil into the engine L.O. rail.
If you go for the automated (solenoid) option wire in the solenoid to open as soon as start is operated and a short time delay before the engine starts to crank over.
The fancier option is to store pressurised oil in a Pneupress/ Hydrofore arrangement or in a cylinder with a spring loaded piston, charged up and discharged in a similar way. This arrangement is used by the makers for several types of Engine.
If you fit a pre lube pump remember the danger of "scouring" the bearings, if the pre lube pump is left running for long periods of time, rather than just for a couple of minutes immediately before the engine is started then it should have a much smaller capacity especially as the L.O. will probably be cold and have a high viscosity when the electric pump is running.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

the engine as it stands is not a running engine per se. Its a static training engine, its new, and all there, but not able to run in its current condition.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

I know the engine to which you refer now.
That's TDC's engine.
I wondered what happened to it as I didn't hear from TDC any further re his probs. with it.
As I wrote back then I was concerned about it being craned up onto the Quay and abandoned there, so glad to hear it's gone to a good home albeit it's now a D.E. from now on.
( Dead engine )
It's always nice to hear the conclusions to all these problems as we don't always learn what the outcome was and as I still have a little storage capacity left in the back of the old brains library that's another one down and gone.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Big Pete,
But what about the return?
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

Merlyn wrote:Big Pete,
But what about the return?
Maybe a hand pump. Builds character with the students :lol: :lol:
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Left or right hand one?
Could that be the handraulic version?
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

Merlyn wrote:Left or right hand one?
Could that be the handraulic version?
I guess with a pump like this it depends which way you are standing if it is a left or right hand pump
Attachments
hand pump.jpg
hand pump.jpg (6.98 KiB) Viewed 9785 times
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Looks like a semi rotary pump , direction arrow on the back in case of upside down mounting?
You know, suck don't blow theory.
Doubles up for a Bilge pump for the ships lifeboat.
Handraulic V Hydraulic?
Trying to determine whether or not the description of R/H V L/H operation changes re a right or left hand person on the handle?
That one looks to me that it has been overhauled with a spray gun so should pump better.

P.S.

The green ones were always the best I have found over the years.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Giving the matter further thought I am concerned that by using my five gallon drum theory there may not be a sufficient " head " above the engine to enable the oil to be pushed around the rear main and onwards into the engine.
Should there not be enough height to locate the skyhook then as such I have designed the Mark Two series which with no pump attached will enable the drum to sit on the plates or even below the oil entry point into the engine and cheaply provide a constant steady flow pressure of oil?
How can this be?
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I very much fear you are suggesting connecting an air hose and air pressure regulator to the top of an oil drum to push the oil into the Engine.
There have been several "M" Notices, (Notices to Mariners) over the years reporting explosions and people killed by putting air hoses on the top of oil drums to push the oil out and into storage tanks. Oil Drums are not rated as pressure vessels. If you want to use air pressure to feed priming oil to the the engine then the system will have to be tested and certified as a pressure vessel.
Maybe the hand pump is the best solution, so long as it is one with a priming connection on top!! I can remember many occasions where those little "Wanky wanky" pumps were installed to pump out bilges in steering flats and Focsles and Motormen and Engineers spending days repeatedly stripping them down and rebuilding them in order to try and get them to work, all because they failed to unscrew the plug on top of the pump and prime it with water before pumping! Filling with water also tests that the shaft gland is air water tight and shows if you have to nip it up or repack it.

BP.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Spot on Big Pete.
Maybe a little air receiver instead of a five gallon drum with, as you said a pressure regulator set at around 100 psi.
The ones I have used have been christened " Daleks " as they resemble one in my mind.
Drain engines, plug in a PLC airline and job done.
This engine it would appear is based ashore but I am struggling with the flow return arrangement as to enter a pressured tank to recircle the oil seems at the mo. a bit of a problem?
I well remember folk ommitting to release the top bung to either prime it or bleed the air out.