ALFA LAVAL HIGH SPEED LUBE OIL SEPARATOR

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
andyotis
First Time Poster
Currently located: Sierra Leone

ALFA LAVAL HIGH SPEED LUBE OIL SEPARATOR

Post by andyotis »

Hello guys,

I am working with an ALFA LAVAL High speed lubricating oil separator S831.
It is failing to start and the alarm Bowl speed low P180 is activated.

Can someone please give advice on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Andy.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: ALFA LAVAL HIGH SPEED LUBE OIL SEPARATOR

Post by D Winsor »

Sounds like you could have either an improperly tensioned or damaged drive belt between the motor and separator bowel drive shaft, damaged/worn belt pulleys or a fault in the settings or function of the VF Drive speed control for the drive motor.
Worn or damaged bearings in the motor or on the bowel drive shaft can also put drag on the drive causing the bowel to slow down
I can't remember the configuration of the belt drive but if the belt tension is not correct or the pulleys are worn out or damaged the bowel will be slow to spin up to speed and slow down when product is admitted to the bowel.
If there is any kind of oil leakage from the separator on to the belt will also cause the separator belt to slip.
If there is a fault in the electronics or bowel speed feedback sensors of the drive motor control could cause the separator to fail to start and give the P180 fault alarm.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
ranger_sbs
First Time Poster
Currently located: India

Post by ranger_sbs »

Don't you have manual for the s381 alfa laval separator?
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

Check the centrifugal clutch if fitted, may need new pads or be worn out so it doesn’t clutch in at the right speed. Also check the temp of your oil.