Westfalia separator, model: OSC 50-01-536/60

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Westfalia separator, model: OSC 50-01-536/60

Post by The Dieselduck »

Hi sir,

I am facing a serious problem in my westfalia separator, model: OSC 50-01-536/60. While starting, after ejection and inlet valve open, the separator suddenly tripping. In the PLC pannel, 2 alarms happening.
1) crude oil outlet pressure high- alarm 60 2)oily waste water outlet- alarm 64.

Please share me some solution measures to rectify this problem.

Best Regards
Nadheem Shajahan
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Westfalia separator, model: OSC 50-01-536/60

Post by The Dieselduck »

Must be Wesfalia Separator Issue Month - must be solar flares or something.

I have advise him to have a look at these forums, but if anyone else has input, feel free to chime in, as I have very limited personal experience running a Wesfalia, apart from the usual suspects, already detailed somewhere else in this area.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

If you are purifying HFO or Lube oil this can happen when the oil in the discharge line is cold and highly viscous causing excessive back pressure. If this may be the case make sure that you recirculate the oil through the heater until it is at the correct purifying temperature, 98 C for HFO, 95 C for 4 stroke L.O. and 90 C for 2 stroke L.O. before admitting any oil to the purifier, if you can manually regulate the flow, reduce it until the entire length of the discharge pipe has become hot, and/or open the back pressure regulating valve to keep the back pressure down to the correct level. Then as the back pressure drops increase the flow rate gradually until it is the full rated flow rate and then slowly shut in the back pressure regulating (throttle) valve until the temperatures, flow rate and back pressure have all stabilised and you have the correct back pressure.
This is a common problem where there is a long discharge pipe from the purifier. Hope this helps.
BP.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I actually liked the Westfalia s better then the Alfa Lavals back in my sea day. Too long ago for any meaningful contribution.