Gea westfalia separator problem

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
BroKit
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Singapore

Gea westfalia separator problem

Post by BroKit »

Hi all

I have a problem regarding my gea weatfalia separator onboard.
When it is running for about 10min, this “min separating time in SMS mode” keep coming. Does anyone have a same problem?
Can somebody please tell me what to do in this situation.
Program separating time already set to 3600sec. But problem still occured, please help. Thank you
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: Gea westfalia separator problem

Post by Revolver »

What's the book say about it?
BroKit
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Singapore

Post by BroKit »

Inside manual didnt say anything about the problem stated above, thats why im asking here if in case anyone have encountered same problem before
Emmanuel
First Time Poster
Currently located: South africa

Post by Emmanuel »

Hi, i also have the same problem with my HFO separator OSE -10. Unfortunately, i still dont know what is the main cause.
I found out that the SMS Actual pressure is going down thus, triggering to desludge the bowl earlier than the set desludge time. I thought that the problem is with the pressure transmitter PT2 but the problem still persists when we changed with new one. We cleaned the bowl parts and changed new gaskets but still the same. Please let me know if you have any idea on how to solve this issue. Thank you
popeye62
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Post by popeye62 »

I know this is old but I have a lot of time and if I don't have a hull or machinery to obsess over I will go mad.
Assuming you are aware that SMS is the sludge monitoring system it appears that timer 21 is set to 10 minutes. Timer 21 monitor's the SMS and should prevent an ejection in the time period of 10 minutes when it is stabilising from the last ejection. The time is not the separation period between two ejections which, if you are cleaning HFO you are correct with 3600 secs (never run a separator on HFO for more than 1 hour, ever)
Is it an alarm? Does it discharge after the message? It is telling us that timer 21 has gone beyond its setting of 10 minutes and the pressure in the sludge space is being monitored by the pressure sensor. I don't know if timer 21 is a user parameter but there shouldn't be any need to change it anyway.
Emmanuel, if the ejection is taking place within the timer then there is the possibility of an actual process problem. Is a slug of water going in when the dirty feed v/v is opened?
As with all self-ejecting separators keep a good eye on the operating/displacing water supply and system