VESSEL'S BASE LINE VERIFICATION

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Pengze
Mechanic

VESSEL'S BASE LINE VERIFICATION

Post by Pengze »

Hi there!
May I know what is the proper or correct way for determining the ship's (newbuilding) base line?
Is the 'water level' gauging method (by filling up a small diameter transparent hose with water) and then bringing the hose along to some certain pre-determined points from a set point to ascertain the correct measurement or equivalent height?
In my opinion, this will induce some human error and what should be the allowance to compensate for the error?
Could anyone suggest other better alternative method for gauging the base line?
Thank you. All the Best!
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: VESSEL'S BASE LINE VERIFICATION

Post by JK »

I read this and wasn't sure what you asking, then I showed it to our naval architect and he wasn't clear either.
Maybe if you reword the question a bit, you will get some answers.
Cheers.
Pengze
Mechanic

Re: VESSEL'S BASE LINE VERIFICATION

Post by Pengze »

Hi,
Good day.
Okay, let me re-phrase the question.
From the base line set-point, we are going to verify the correct draught markings for forward , midship(port & stbdside) & aft draught markings for a newbuilding.
Since we are using the flexible hose filled with water (similar to a U-tube configuration) to clarify the height, I wonder if this is correct bec this will induce some human errors.
I would like to know if there are any other ways or methods for getting the correct markings for these draught marks.
Thks for any info given.