How to explain hydrolock in a diesel engine?

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Re: How to explain hydrolock in a diesel engine?

Post by Sébastien »

There sure have been some party animals coming off the ships to have some fun ashore, maybe even too much fun because there are a few bars in Bermuda that have a small sign over the entrance with the caption: 'No dogs or Canadian sailors allowed'. I will not go into details but somehow rental scooters and alcohol were involved... Work hard and play hard but don't over-do it!
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

Post by conrod »

I rolled my own smokes since I was a teenager...........couldnt afford owt else as a Cadet........but in the UK that was normal for " working class lads". Of course the United States in the mid eighties took a whole different view to self rolling !!
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

If you wish to read about the effect of a hydrolock in a "running" slow speed engine check out the engine replacement on the Great Lakes vessel Algoville. The vessel's original 6 cylinder MAN engine suffered a hydraulic lock in one cylinder as a result of a cracked piston crown and piston cooling water entered the cylinder. The result was complete destruction of the engine.
On the Algoisle, which has a similar MAN K6Z78/155 engine, the engine is turned on the turning gear with the cylinder safety valves levered open, the engine is also rolled on air with the relief valves open immediately prior to starting and at regular intervals while at anchor. The water level in the Piston cooling system is closely monitored so potentially disasterous leaks can be detected as soon as possible
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"