Confined Space Death on the Rise

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Confined Space Death on the Rise

Post by JK »

Over the last 15 years or so that I have been involved in this forum, I kept unofficial track of FV fatalities, lifeboat davit accidents and tank entry fatalities. Until I realized nothing was changing. You would think that there would be improvement over the years, but preventable deaths still occur.
As JollyJack has said:
Coffin ships are, and always will be, part of the industry. Seafarers have always been, and always will be, expendable. Until life is more valuable than money, that's how it always will be.
https://www.itfglobal.org/en/news/canar ... e#IWMD2019
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: Confined Space Death on the Rise

Post by Big Pete »

A very sad truth.
I think it is solid evidence that despite the introduction of STCW etc the standard of Seafarer training is declining rather than improving.
B.P.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

yet the demands on a seafarer for levels of training are higher. You can't get into the business unless you have training behind you, even the ABs. There is no OTJT any more. Even the task of keeping current is burdensome:
https://marine-cafe.com/maritime-traini ... RIVjOdCXkI
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Safety is an attitude of mind, learning lots of "Factoids" to answer multiple choice questions, marked by machine, does not test understanding or attitudes to safety.
Big Pete
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.