How About a Shaft Question?

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

How About a Shaft Question?

Post by JK »

Everyone will know the cause of this:

And bigger, uglier and more extreme:

Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Re: How About a Shaft Question?

Post by Sébastien »

Ouch! The caption by your name says 'enduring contributor', by these pictures I think that means that you have been 'enduring' a lot of pain in your job! Was this prolonged use with water ingress/bad oil or was it a quick burn out?
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: How About a Shaft Question?

Post by JK »

It isn't all my pain, thank Heaven, but shared between all of our staff over 7 years.

The small bearing was a loss of water to it caused by a blocked valve, if I remember correctly. It was more of a pain getting the boat back in service quickly in the isolated area she was at.

The second failure is more spectacular. A loss of circ water to the shaft, overheating causing paint to blister on the bulkhead and so forth. A flow alarm failed to sing to the EOW.

With all the bits and pieces we have kicking around here, I thought it would be fun to post them for someone else to comment on and in some cases a bit of a learning tool for someone not so (dare I say) fortunate in seeing some of these failures.