Class Required Spares

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Matthias
Deck Plate Wanderer

Class Required Spares

Post by Matthias »

I'm currently working on a new build and the contract specs state the yard will provide all class required spares. I've been trying to find a list of ABS required spares, but from my research I have not found a complete list but instead bits and pieces scattered through some of the rules. So far I have found that class requires a complete lo, fo, fw, and sw pumps if there is no standby pump fitted for the main engines. I've also found a few comments from P&I clubs that classification societies no longer specify minimum spares but rather leave this up to the ship operator. Has anyone seen a Class required spares list?
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Re: Class Required Spares

Post by Madzng »

Hi Matthias,

This is not so easy to answer and can depend upon a few variables: The size and machinery layout of the ship and the service the ship is being built for, i.e unrestricted or restricted.

I am not very familiar with the ABS rules, but if you follow the link below this will take you to the IACS website. You need page 4 of 5 for the guidelines on minimum spares recomemnded to be carried on vessels in unlimited service. As ABS are a member of IACS, this should tie in closely to what they actually want.

http://www.iacs.org.uk/publications/pub ... ectionid=5

There are several documents, as the spares are broken down into various sections auxiliary machinery, propulsion machinery and electrical generation machinery.

I have a list of spares required under Lloyds, for both restricted and unrestricted, but this a pdf file. I'm happy to e-mail it to you or want, just PM me with your address.

Good luck!
Pengze
Mechanic

Re: Class Required Spares

Post by Pengze »

Hi,
Good day.
Regarding the Class required minimum spares, you can find some info from the details below;-
ABS RULES FOR BUILDING AND CLASSING STEEL VESSELS 2008
PART 4, CHAPTER 2, SECTION 1, APPENDIX 4 - GUIDANCE FOR SPARE PARTS
Hope it will be of help to you, Good Luck.