Fittings and Threads

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
jwinsor
Bilge Dweller

Fittings and Threads

Post by jwinsor »

Can someone please help me with all the different threads and fittings. I have to find out what I have on board and then order some more.
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Re: Fittings and Threads

Post by offshoresnipe »

Not sure what you are doing, but we just did a inventory of all are pipe/hose fittings on the dredge that I work on. My oiler did not have a clue as to the what anything was. I gave him a copy of the McMaster-Carr and Parker catalogs. Seemed to help him and the Chief was pleased with the outcome.
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

What you asking for is not as simple as one might think, I suggest you obtain a copy of Machinery's Handbook by Industrial Press or similar manuals such as IPT's Pipe Trades Handbook or IPT's Industrial Fasteners Handbook.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

and a set of thread gauges
jwinsor
Bilge Dweller

Post by jwinsor »

Thanks for the references guys. I'll be sure to check them out. The problem I'm having is with some old cocks which go to pressure gauges. I'm trying to find out what fitting to use with my tubing to the pressure gauge. Order new cocks that sort of thing.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

If these cocks are on a Hastie Steering Gear or a British built boiler they are most likely British Standard Pipe or Whit worth Thread. The TPI on these threads are similar to Standard Pipe and bolt threads but are cut at 55 deg as opposed to 60 deg on standard North American and Metric Threads
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

Some of the IMPA books have actual size diagrams or pictures, so people can order correctly,

http://www.impa.net/publications_msg.html

http://www.marinestoresguide.com/#

Or it could be the ICCS book.

http://www.shipsupply.org/admin/cat.htm#online

I only use the Argos catalogue this days..
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

It all depends on what you have got.

BSP ( British Standard Pipe Threads) are the same as metric pipe threads. If you try to screw a BSP pipe thread to an American NPT (National Pipe thread) fitting, they will screw together perfectly for one turn then lock solid (different TPI), trying to force them together will strip the threads.

When the USA finally goes metric we will only have one set of threads to worry about and life will be much easier!
The Norwegian Rohr fittings and Britsh Standard Whitworth, British Stard Fine and British Association threads are now little more than a memory, the sooner NPT, NPTT, UNC and UNF follow them the better.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
BilgeRat1
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Northern Illinois, USA

Post by BilgeRat1 »

Carrol Smith was the team engineer for the winning American effort at LeMans in the mid sixties and he wrote a series of books on race car preparation and tuning. One of these is "Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook". It covers race car methods (basically AN standard aircraft hardware), but much of it is applicable to marine usage and it is a first class education in hardware. It can be purchased from http://www.carrolsmith.com for $21.95. I have used it with my oilers in the past and they have all come away better off for having dipped into it.
Tom
P.S. I'm not affiliated with the above named website, just a satisfied user of Mr. Smith's books. Also, I am not intending this suggestion to supplant the suggestions of McMaster-Carr and Machinery's Handbook, but to use the book in conjunction with other sources.
"It is not that there are too many fools on earth, it is just that the lightning is distributed unevenly."
Mark Twain
Pacific Barbarian
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Cape Town

Post by Pacific Barbarian »

offshoresnipe wrote:Not sure what you are doing, but we just did a inventory of all are pipe/hose fittings on the dredge that I work on. My oiler did not have a clue as to the what anything was. I gave him a copy of the McMaster-Carr and Parker catalogs. Seemed to help him and the Chief was pleased with the outcome.
That is the way I do it :)

Pictures and proper terminology helps a lot. I think even those guage cocks are in there as well.
jwinsor
Bilge Dweller

Post by jwinsor »

Well for those intrested the cocks were M20 x 1.5 metric. However I am still up to my eyeballs in fittings...I need specifics on what thread guages to order and what references to use. I am dealing with compression fittings of all types from stainless high pressure used with steel tubing to brass compression and flange used with copper tubing....as well there are hydraulic fittings hose and pipe of all sizes. I have searched for McMaster-Carr and Machinery's Handbook but cannot seem to zero in on what I need.

I wish I could find a big thread guage with SAE, Metric, NPT, NPF, BSP,etc.....and a handbook to use in conjuction so I can identify every thread that I come across....Is this possible??

Who has got the knowledge??
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Post by offshoresnipe »

Parker at one time made a kit that had thread gages and a small book to help with hydraulic fittings, not sure if it is still being made. It was for feild use. Be sure to check out the Parker catalog, filled with much information. Takes a bit of time to wade through it, but very good for hydraulic fittings and hose etc.
Good luck.