Engine information MAK M332

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Engine information MAK M332

Post by offshoresnipe »

I am looking for information on a Mak 6M332 engine.
Have found some info in the Mak web site.
Looking for general info, am going to start sailing on a ship with this engine and would like to know aa much as I can about it. Don't want to look like a complete fool on my 1st watch.
Thanks!
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: Engine information

Post by D Winsor »

What kind of info are you looking for?
The Mak 6M332 engine is a simple turbo charged 4 stroke inline 6 cylinder engine.
There are few things to look out for but nothing too complicated. The instruction manuals have procedures on how to carry out routine maintenance and repairs
The biggest problem I have experienced was a loss of oil pressure due to fuel dilution from fuel leaks around the fuel pumps or injectors.
The fuel pumps are behind covers that must be removed from time to time to check for leaks.
Water leaks between the cylinder block and the top flange of the liner are fairly common.
If oil is found in the jacket water header tank it is an indicator of a leaking O-Ring at the base of a liner
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Post by offshoresnipe »

Thanks for the info. I will write down your info in my note book.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Post by Dieseldame »

Hey OSS

We run MAK 6M 282's as our generators on board and generally they are very reliable. Our number 2 has had some challenges with jacket leaks that showed up as a fuel gallery alarm last year. This lead to a myriad of issues, including the fuel pumps getting corroded and one sticking open so that we couldn't shut down the engine (until the problem was located). We just finished a 12000 hour on that engine and are now troubleshooting some issues in the air start system - she won't start up, turns over a little then gets bogged down. Troubleshooting so far has been to check the local start mechanism, air distributor and the individual start valves at each of the heads. So far no luck. Tomorrow we will go at it again.

Don't know about the configuration of the secondary fuel filters on your particular engine but with ours there is a duplex setup...if you turn the switch the wrong way to switch between the two filters, the o-ring sometimes lets go and makes quite a spectacular mess. The o-rings can be challenging to get in right during the filter change if you don't they "blow". On the oil side ours uses a duplex "candlestick filter" set up.

If you are changing the injectors out, start the fuel line before you torque down the hold down collar, otherwise you will never get them started.

DD
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Post by Dieseldame »

Oh, yeah. One more thing. MAK was recently bought out by Caterpillar.

We are doing a 12000 on one of our main engines this week (16 cyl model). I will pass on any interesting info.

DD
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

The strangest thing I have heard of is that the injector nozzle nuts crack, high pressure fuel leaks into the injector pocket and cracks it. The heads are about 24k, last time I bought one.
Can't remember the model-might be the 282s. It's been a couple of years.
Speculation is water in the fuel. We never got any explanation from MaK or Cat to the reason.
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Post by offshoresnipe »

Thank you for the information. My note book is starting to fill up. Looking forward to getting to the new engine room and a new Chief.
I hope that all of you are having a good start to the New Year at home or sailing right now.
JK, just West of the Black Hole, which Black Hole?
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

LOL, west of the Rockies. They suck in all cell phone signals, computer communications ect.
Mikkelsborg
Leak Patrol
Currently located: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by Mikkelsborg »

I have a set of engine manuals for this engine in electronic format (pdf), if you would like to browse the engine.
My experience with the M332 is that it is a very good engine without too much electronics :-)
As long as you stick to the TBO intervals and filters are clean.....
Are you going to running HFO or MDO ? or even BC MDC 5 % Bi-diesel..... ?
When using the bi-diesel the filters will clock more often
Engine is with ABB turbocharger older design and BOSCH fuelpumps
Please drop me an e-mail if you would like a copy of the manuals
Mikkel Elsborg - [email protected]
-
Further if you require recon parts or even reconditioning of parts, please let me know as we have the possibility to assist
:-) Mikkel
Mikkel Elsborg
PJ Diesel Engineering A/S
Linkedin: https://dk.linkedin.com/in/mikkelelsborg
Mikkelsborg
Leak Patrol

Post by Mikkelsborg »

Hi again,
The handbook is in your mail - Please do not hesitate to contact with further inquiries
:-) Mikkel Elsborg
Mikkel Elsborg
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

With regard to the MaK engines when I sailed with one of the more recent ones I found that the 3 way cocks on the Duplex filters were unsafe compared to normal British practice. i.e I am used to the handle covering the "live" pot of the filter to make it hard too mistakenly open the pressurised filter, on this engine the safe filter was underneath the handle. Got a nasty shock the first time!!!!
BP.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Mikkelsborg
Leak Patrol

Post by Mikkelsborg »

Big Pete, Would it be an idea to change the string here as well to: Engine information MAK M332
Mikkel Elsborg
JK
Enduring Contributor

Re: Engine information MAK M332

Post by JK »

Good idea and done