Permanent Foreign Seafarer Entry into Canada

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Sea Rover
Deck Plate Wanderer

Permanent Foreign Seafarer Entry into Canada

Post by Sea Rover »

Does anyone know where I can get more information on the agenda items below from the November CMAC meeting in Ottawa? I'm under the impression that foreign crews will be able to work in Canada, in the near future, with almost no barriers to entry. What will protect our jobs?

SEAFARER SHORTAGE

• Streamlined Direct Entry Process
• Dispensations
• Seafarer Recruitment Agencies
• Reciprocal Agreements with other countries
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: Permanent Foreign Seafarer Entry into Canada

Post by Revolver »

What will protect our jobs....hmmm...have a senior ticket...maybe?
Sea Rover
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Sea Rover »

I've had a First Class Ticket for almost 10 years. Those will be worthless soon, as all graduates of the 4 year programs will get the new "Chief Engineer" license almost automatically after accumulating a bit of sea time.

Seriously; anyone who makes a living working on a Canadian ship should be very concerned! This is just the beginning............
tintean
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by tintean »

I am retired now and do some occasional relief work. On the day I pulled the plug I told the young guys aboard ship that they would never retire as Canadian sailors. CETA, Manila 2010, and the Trans Pacific partnership will see to that. No class of ticket will save you. Only working for 3rd world wages can do that. I would suggest you look for another career before it's too late. For all you Captains out there; I hear McDonalds is hiring.