There are worse places to get stuck

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

There are worse places to get stuck

Post by JK »

Shamelessly OT, but if you are going to get trapped, what a place! I sailed with engineers that this would be their ultimate fantasy!

From the BBC:
December 2010 Last updated at 06:20 ET

Snow forces eight-day lock-in at Kirkbymoorside pub

A couple and five staff spent eight days trapped inside one of Britain's highest pubs because of heavy snow.

The Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge, near Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire, was cut off since Friday last week, as 20ft (6.1m) of snow drifted against the pub.

The couple, from Darlington, were trapped until a plough made its way over the North York Moors and they followed it back to the nearest town.

The staff remained until the road was officially opened on Saturday night.

The Lion Inn is also a bed and breakfast and during their eight days inside the pub the couple and staff were able to stay in its bedrooms.

Speaking before the pub reopened, chef Daniel Butterworth admitted he had been talking to himself during the enforced lock-in.

At first the staff, all aged under 25, got stuck into the drinks, he said, but on the third day they eased off.

"We haven't been getting ratty," he said. "It's been fun and we have had a laugh.

"We have been getting on with little jobs, having our tea, a drink, playing games and then going to bed.

"The bosses aren't here, they are snowed out.

"We have wireless internet here and the television works so we have been fine."

During the day, the couple and staff managed to get out onto the snow on improvised sledges made from beer trays.

The beer did not run out and there was plenty of food at the inn, which stands 1,325ft (404m) above sea level.

Mr Butterworth admitted the icy internment had not been all fun.

"I have been going a bit crazy, doing weird things like talking to myself," he said on Saturday.

"Hopefully, we will get some more customers in when the road opens again. I could do with some more company.

"We have had people phoning up asking to get trapped in, but it's kind of boring now and I would like to go home."
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: There are worse places to get stuck

Post by The Dieselduck »

I was going to say, not exactly the ultimate fantasy, british after all, but... fully stocked bar, working tvs, internet, a warm bed, and girls under 25, no boss, quiet and bright snow all around... that sounds pretty close to a fantasy as it gets....
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: There are worse places to get stuck

Post by JollyJack »

yeah but it's Yorkshire beer.....
Discourage incest, ban country "music".