Question For Jimmy S or Big Pete

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Question For Jimmy S or Big Pete

Post by JK »

I keep getting emails from Lloyd's Maritime Academy in England regarding long distance training in Naval Architect and surveying.

I've attached the link to one of the brochures:
http://www.informaglobalevents.com/appd ... ng_web.pdf

Do you know anything about this organization? Is it legit or just throwing money away on something not worthwhile?
jimmys
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Glasgow Scotland

Re: Question For Jimmy S or Big Pete

Post by jimmys »

I would not recommend this, it is expensive with not a lot at the end of it. I am a retired Surveyor and I do a little bit when required mostly hull and engine insurance. I will just run over the general requirements for surveyors.
Lloyds first:-
Hull Surveyors- Naval architects,Degrees, Diplomas membership of RINA dont do engines and engineering
Hull and Engine Surveyors- Engineers, extra training on hulls degrees,diplomas, chief,extra chief, member ImarEst,IMechE. Able to survey and certify the whole ship.
Nauticals dont do much of hard surveying,tend to be inspections and port state control, not a lot of them in Lloyds.

In the MCA UK the hull surveyors are called ship surveyors with same structure. the engineers are called Engineer and ship surveyors again with the same structure and able to survey and certify the whole ship.

I dont see anything in this course that is going to get you in line for this. The money is getting into the region of costs for an MSc 1Year in a front line Uni. Four to five thousand pounds. Get you into line for it.

I was the Principal Engineer and Ship Surveyor for West of Scotland and if recruiting this lot would not get you through the sift, bin it!!! no interview. Full of nauticals the kiss of death.

regards
jimmy
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Question For Jimmy S or Big Pete

Post by JK »

Yes, that is kinda what I thought when I looked at it. It just seemed too general.
I get all kinds of mail from them on different long distance courses, but they are really expensive and I have asked around if anyone have heard of them or taken the courses.
When I saw you profession, I thought, AHA, eureka, JimmyS will know.