ABS Nautical Systems Software

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

ABS Nautical Systems Software

Post by JK »

Anyone here using the maintenance management software from ABS?
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: ABS Nautical Systems Software

Post by D Winsor »

Are you talking about NS5?
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

yes
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Post by offshoresnipe »

JK,
We use it on the ship that I am on, what type of info are you looking for?
What I can say right off the top, is if the engineers are not trained in the use of it, or do not keep up with the input it can turn into a mess. Kind of like to many cooks making one meal. If the system is used right I think it can be a big help on finding information, parts, etc. takes time to learn it, I have spent more then a few late nights when all was running well, just digging around in the program, still finding out new things all the time. I am lucky I have a Chief who is very good with the system, he keeps ahead of it.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Thanks, I am only looking at the hull conditioning monitoring module, we already have a maintenance program and most purchasing is managed ashore.
I had a webinar with ABS last week and they run me through the program with a mock ship and it looked not so bad. Of course when a software guy runs through a program, things tend to go swimmingly, don't they?
thenorwegian
Bilge Dweller

Post by thenorwegian »

Far from user friendly, but one learns to deal with it.
The software has some old-fashion functions (like "creating workorders", a totally worthless function, also f***s up the workplanning if you are not carefull; next duedate is calcuklated based on the date you created the WO not the day you complete the job. This is avoided by not creating WO until you actually has done the job.), It is difficult to keep track of requisitions-they change number/name as they are moved through the system (requistion, quotation, purchase order).
For stock controll one can not print a report for several locations, one must make one report for each location.
Also the visual presentation in "equipment explorer" is kind of strange when it comes to spareparts.

Guess there is no such thing as a perfect PMS-system:-)
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Good feedback, thank you. That is the problem with getting a quick overview, you don't see this kind of problems.