New engine

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: New engine

Post by Merlyn »

All that's very well Andrew but these engines do not lend themselves to ambidextuary moments about a point.
That means, for the non believers they run only one way.
i.e.
The wrong way.
So no good for all those folk North of the equator unfortunately for even those engines in the lifeboats there which run happily inverted will not change direction of rotation voluntary.
( Well looking from the flywheel end anyway )
Plus as a contributory factor consider vessels steaming across the equator continually for even those old engines not fitted with an anti reversing spring fitted in the pump ( as indeed with common rail ) it's not possible to start them up to run the other way (CAS sensors and all that stuff ) anymore.
( Something else that used to be fun to watch we are deprived of )
So all the foregoing requires addressing before further advances and designs can be made it would appear.
Something for Andrew to address when considering his next futuristic designs which are so far advanced and complicated that folk who have had a lifetime in the trade can only stand back and wonder why on earth they never thought of it first.
Such is the learning curve in life.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Feliks
Superintendent
Currently located: Kraków,Polska

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Can't see any crank or cam shafts or valve gear here Andrew?
Am I missing something?
Where is the chief?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

:D Well, as everyone on the forum knows, I started publishing about my new4stroke engine 15 years ago. By courtesy, this thread exists to this day and everyone who reads it up to that time is already familiar with my structure, and probably many like it, although it requires a deep understanding. I tried to explain it successively. But now, courtesy of SAE, I can also enter the competition. annually organized by her - "Create the Future". Here is my application for this competition.
https://contest.techbriefs.com/2021/ent ... oke-engine
And I think that forum readers know even more about my project than it is described there. Thanks to this, they understand it better and can vote for my project. But for credibility, in order to apply (and not only to mine), you need to register on this page, here: https://contest.techbriefs.com/account/registration
I hope that many of you who spoke warmly about my project will vote for my project. Thank you in advance ..

Andrew :D
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Sounds good Andrew but what exactly is this new method of timing exactly?
For many years the ECU adjusts the timing for Common Rail both petrol and Diesel so how can your method fit in with this?
Is it Redundant?
We talking ignition timing here for petrols only?
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:12 am Sounds good Andrew but what exactly is this new method of timing exactly?
For many years the ECU adjusts the timing for Common Rail both petrol and Diesel so how can your method fit in with this?
Is it Redundant?
We talking ignition timing here for petrols only?

Many thanks, Merlyn for your wishes .. and these four-stroke internal combustion engines are not only cars ... the most effective production of electricity is carried out in large 4-stroke natural gas combustion engines .. on ships similarly .. also the long transmission of electricity in networks is not effective and such a saline locomotive has its advantages further .. Airplanes do not like electricity too much for the time being ..
and here is my time line
! . 1979 engine WORK and I predicted 15% more displacement.
2. Eureka, 40% more displacement 1981
3. The decision to build a second prototype, because the original engine has 23 HP, the tuning miracle worker, makes 70 HP, and I saw that I had a real chance of 100 HP. (10,000 rpm). 1982.
4. 1985, I am very surprised myself, because the engine has about 250 HP (10,000 rpm). I started to analyze where this value came from .. And there were no jokes, because when I found out, I almost lost my life during testing ..
5. Further search for the reasons .. everything is correct .. but it is hard to believe stories that instead of a 600 ccm engine for a car, you can only make 60 ccm and it will be the same for driving ..
6. Of course the fuel and air consumption will be correspondingly lower .. Also no NOx will be generated.
7.further development for Half Hotate engine, running without oil ..
8. I don't know if the electric ones will be competitive ..

And my method of timing, also for diesel, is cool ... For gasoline it forced me to spark, and exactly as I counted the mechanical pumping of the volume between the intake cylinder and the exhaust cylinder, through such a small channel to which I fitted the spark plug, it turned out with tsm such a speed .. I enlarged this channel several times and it turned out that the engine runs without any problems and no longer blows the spark .. But just if you put the injector in the place of this spark plug, maybe it would be much better than the Commmon Rail. There is a channel in the photo without a zoom. But I haven't tried it, I just know that maybe it's worth it .. ..
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Well reading between the lines here Andrew concerning the " I almost lost my life during testing " speech I am fantasising here and my mind is depicting you peering over that front pulley with that top of the range " membership to what tie on " and being drawn mesmerised into trying to ascertain which direction it is running in ( clock/anti-clockwise ) all at the expense of being introduced as yet another belt in the equation.
However it hurts just as much whatever the rotation unless you become like me when observing close ups during testing.
i.e.
Tie Less.
Or was it that quick reaction ducking when that rod sailed over your head with your name written on it?
Am I close here?
Just wondering.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:46 am Well reading between the lines here Andrew concerning the " I almost lost my life during testing " speech I am fantasising here and my mind is depicting you peering over that front pulley with that top of the range " membership to what tie on " and being drawn mesmerised into trying to ascertain which direction it is running in ( clock/anti-clockwise ) all at the expense of being introduced as yet another belt in the equation.
However it hurts just as much whatever the rotation unless you become like me when observing close ups during testing.
i.e.
Tie Less.
Or was it that quick reaction ducking when that rod sailed over your head with your name written on it?
Am I close here?
Just wondering.
:)
Well, Merlyn, it's good that you write about your doubts, because probably other readers may have similar .. Besides, I have the opportunity to properly explain what may be the cause of doubts .. in my life I had two such chiles that did not last long but they stuck in my memory .. one is like a narrow road, at night, at 150 Km / h, I suddenly met a car on the way with similar speed .. Neither I nor he was doing, despite our driving, we were driving at full traffic light. We simply met at the top of a hill that was perfectly covered with bushes ..
Second time, when starting my engine .. In the three months that I started it every day, the engine has not been able to run faster than 3500 rpm. I did a lot of things, messed with exhausts, ignition, carburetor fuel jets from 120 to 240 and nothing. The engine, like enchanted, did not want to spin above the 3500 rpm. So after so many unsuccessful attempts, I fixed the carburetor throttles, permanently, with a wire at maximum opening, because the engine did not want to move higher .. I thought it was some kind of resonance, I moved the ignition device and similar things on the run .. And the throttle carburetor open to the max with this wire all the time. I always turned off the engine with electricity, cut the circuit to the battery ... But one time, standing next to it, I did not want to turn it off electrically, and I broke the gas tube, because I wanted to mess the main fuel nozzle again, and I thought that when replacing the nozzle the gasoline will spill anyway, so bending this hose, waiting for the engine to burn out to the end with the one that is still in the carburetor. And so, standing next to the engine, I was waiting for the moment to hold the engine (the throttle was tied with a wire full) and after a good moment, suddenly the engine was spinning at enormous speed of 10,000 or even 12,000 rpm / and it stopped immediately as a result complete lack of fuel .. Very scary
, because as an engineer, I understand perfectly well how it could have ended .. but I also understood what "hurt" my engine .. It turned out that the engine has too much fuel .. in relation to the flowing air .. The original nozzle of this carburetor in the bmw 2002 tii engine, has 135, and the cylinder that sucks 500 ccm .. I started to change the nozzles (after making smaller ones) and it turned out that the engine only works perfectly on the 80 nozzle, and easily screwed up to 10,000 rpm. My engine per cylinder has a capacity of 300 ccm .. And then I realized that my engine is about 250 HP, because the nozzles change their capacity with the square of their radius .. that is, the 80 nozzle is square 1600, and the BMW 135 nozzle is 4556 square, well over twice as much (2,8 ), which is my two 600 ccm cylinders, the same as 6 BMW cylinders, i.e. 3000 ccm. Would you like to spend? So my engine is as powerful as a BMW with six cylinders at 10,000 rpm.
Can you imagine a 250hp engine quickly reaching that 10,000 RPM at full throttle? Now you understand that I am not exaggerating.
And now always take me seriously, because my engine design turned out to be fantastic, and had it not been for this incident, I might never have known about it. But I found out and communicated all this, that it is fantastic, I have a prototype to show with this 80 nozzle .. Everything depends on YOU .....

Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Blimey Andrew.
Understand most of it but the million dollar question remains.
Was it right or left hand rotation?
I need to know to progress my knowledge in this advanced world of design features .
Plus I am still on edge here concerning the late night liason with another atop the hill?
And it was dark.
Such complex equations to address.
We need these answers before we can move on.
Onwards and Upwards.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:04 pm Blimey Andrew.
Understand most of it but the million dollar question remains.
Was it right or left hand rotation?
I need to know to progress my knowledge in this advanced world of design features .
Plus I am still on edge here concerning the late night liason with another atop the hill?
And it was dark.
Such complex equations to address.
We need these answers before we can move on.
Onwards and Upwards.
8)
Well, I see that you finally got infected with this creative bug, just like I did in the past. That's good . And despite the further darkness on the hills, I will try to lighten it up a bit .. As much as I can and can, because of this myasthenia gravis .. Especially because of the double vision that and it infects, and even the hands can sweat, after entering the text several times, which causes .. But maybe I can describe a little how it was full dawn. although maybe still not completely clear directions for a further trip, even for me, Unfortunately, you would have to do a few prototypes and computer simulations, which are not available yet .. And maybe the first one would be useful for that .. to get it, I will answer your basic Million Dollar Question: THIS WAS ROTATION TO THE RIGHT, but I don't think it's a big problem that it was ROTATION LEFT, too. Because the engine block and inlet / outlet windows will be the same in each of these cases. (because what could be changed there? :)) and only the connection of the crankshafts will have to be different and adjusted with ONE device, but it will change it, in all cylinders .. at the same time, it will be able to change the COMPRESSION RATIO, too. Of course, you will not notice it easily in the animation, but it is so .. This is what "Cyber" already replied in 1982 .. I did not anticipate it either.
Well, I think that for the above-mentioned advantages, we already have $ 2 million.
But probably still a lot of unknowns .. Well, for example, it so happened that my prototype has times of opening / closing windows, it's 360 degrees Main crakshaft. (!!, I wanted a little less, but it didn't work :), and then it was impossible to change it ..) I think that this catastrophe also turned out to be the right one .. :) now yes, the area of ​​the inlet window is 1/4 of the piston area main, in my prototype (and on the other hand, it can also be 0.5 surfaces), and nothing is standing in the way of the air, and the suction piston then tightens what managed to fall into the cylinder, even with the help of dynamic forces top-up. Here in the video you can see all that intake area. muesle that this is another $ 2 million for the four-stroke to have such a large intake ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW1Fedhx6Nc

After some time, I stopped looking for why my engine is so strong ... Because I already knew a lot about it .. I started looking for why the current design with valves is so bad .. and I find that valves "dance" so much even when they are whole closed, and they rotate, they cannot fit well to the valve seat and they lose a lot of pressure there ... But as there are 4 pieces in the cylinder....

https://youtu.be/kZbQyMHgCD4?t=1
And I know a lot about my engine, but I also eat a lot I don't know .. Because maybe the exhaust piston should be bigger than the intake one ???? Because for me, despite the fact that it is the smallest, it adds the most torque to the shaft .. See its position at the moment of ignition (highest pressure)
So what do you think about it?

Have you already voted ? :D

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Well, the Feliks Windmill as you like it .. :roll:

Well, but such a sailing ship, you probably haven't seen either .. :idea:

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Well, finally closer to nature :D Doesn't it remind you of waving birds' wings ? :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMa0MWf4scg

Andrew :roll:
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

And how would you have to increase the power five times ... :roll:

Feliks
Superintendent