New engine

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Feliks
Superintendent
Currently located: Kraków,Polska

Re: New engine

Post by Feliks »

Well, such questions arose, so I answer ..
Questions.
1. Why is an electric transmission from your crazy oscillating engine, an associated generator and the electric traction motors more efficient for a steam locomotive than direct mechanical traditional dual acting steam pistons or a steam turbine?
2. Why is the on board steam generation with whatever fuel is being burned to heat the water in the boiler more efficient than a large scale power station and transmission via catenary or third rail?
3. What fuel does your locomotive use?
4. Why not use your engine to power the wheels directly?
5. Did you know that steam turbine-electric locomotives have been tried before?

Ad.1. Here you are right that you call it crazy oscillating ... Because as you can see the madness comes from it, it is 20 times lighter than a traditional engine, for the same displacement .. And it results from mathematics and is indisputable .. Or maybe even be 50 times lighter, because thanks to the reduced weight, we can get much more revolutions and thus obtain more power, but if we still need the same power as the traditional one, we can reduce the stroke volume, and the engine will be lighter than 50 times .. And that's how you well-called the crazy property .. Here are some drawings to help you understand it. And the fact that the "cylinder" is lifetime, this also matters and can only be machined with an accuracy of 0.5 mm. The "piston" does not rub against the cylinder, and the method of transferring the operating gas force is much more efficient, because there is no traditional cross-section where some 20% of energy is lost.

https://www.new4stroke.com/drezyna.mp4

It is a pity that Newcomen did not come up with this solution for a long time, but it was very close .. :lol:

Here's a story, like this idea, of it
engine was established.

http://www.new4stroke.com/images/Possib ... 0pivot.htm

Ad 2. Because simply by transmitting electricity to further distances, we have 30% losses on network resistance and transformers .. When you add the costs of building and maintaining such a network, we can add 20% ... so we have 50% savings ..

Ad 3. Any, such as we have at hand and is the cheapest for us .. From wood, through coal, oil, gas ..

Ad 4. I have previously published such solutions .. You can choose what seems more beneficial to us..

Ad 5 . Yes, but they did not catch on, the steam turbine has its drawbacks to such a solution .. especially it is not so efficient at low revs .., it cannot be used for driving backwards, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_turbine_locomotive

Andrew

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

starwexwheelbearings
First Time Poster
Currently located: China

Post by starwexwheelbearings »

Nice post to learn the engine.

Professional wheel bearing manufacturer and supplier, provide the bearing solution to our worldwide partners.
https://www.starwex.com
Professional wheel bearing manufacturer and supplier, provide the bearing solution to our worldwide partners.
https://www.starwex.com
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Now here's a good one for Andrew, even with his complex advanced jaw dropping design department which a lot of us mere mortals out here are in awe of and struggle to understand.
The challenge for 2021?
How to fit a set of wheelbearings into a Marine Engine without really trying.
Parellel, taper, ball or roller, twin or single track, thrust or complete with integrated spring loaded seal.
Right hand, left hand and ambidextrous applicable applications welcome.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Well, now, since we do not really believe in the old rules of the heat engine * because as it turns out, the "cold engine" also exists, I will try to explain why such unique advantages of my new 4 stroke come from ..
Well, in a traditional engine, the speed of fuel combustion reaches a speed of about 30 m / sec. mIt is not that much and the duration of this combustion causes a heat transfer to the walls of the cylinder, the piston bottom and valves ... because it's time ... I in my engine, by accident (I could not get the ignition spark, because the speed was too high in " chamber "caused that the air ionization, which is necessary for the formation of the ignition spark, could not take place, because it was blown away by a large mechanically forced speed between the electrodes of the spark plug. I even got one blue smoke that would testify to burning .. If not for my first prototype, which ignited perfectly in the first revolutions, I would probably give up further work on this engine .. 1 4 days is a really long period of testing .. But I started to have fun , search the biblotehs about the mechanism of spark formation, and I found the reason .. Transfer I used the speed that could have been in the channel where the spark plug was contacting, and it turned out that even at relatively low revs that are needed to start, the speed in the spark plug channel was around 300 meters / sec, i.e. Mach 1.
If, instead of the spark plug, there was a diesel injector, the engine would probably ignite immediately and its speed as a diesel engine could be as high as around 10,000 rpm. because the speed of 300 mtr / sec is 10 times higher than the combustion speed in a normal engine .. But I had a gasoline version, I had to disassemble the engine and dig this channel in the head, and maybe the speed in it was as high as 100 m / sec, which allowed ignition spark and normal engine work .. But still 100 m / sec and 30 m / sec, it is 3 times higher combustion speed, due to these mechanical forces .. And this 3 times higher combustion speed in real terms, it can actually affect the thermal efficiency engine, and much more than you might expect .. Therefore, the current considerations on the thermodynamics of the engine are largely outdated in relation to my new4stroke .. which additionally has a unique small combustion chamber below the smallest piston .. where practically only combustion takes place in a vortex of enormous velocity forced by its small cylinder

, additionally. here are two videos, one about the experiment of flame spreading in a pipe filled with a stoichiometric mixture with fuel,

https://youtu.be/gRHmjFEWSHk?t=67

and the other about the flame's front face, which we can easily see. If the flame was moving 10 times faster, as is possible for me, it would not be so easy to observe ...

https://youtu.be/jdW1t8r8qYc?t=111

That's it for this Christmas this year ..

Andrew :D
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Thats all very well Andrew but you haven't committed your answer to the wheel bearing fitment.
Where does it go?
With all that heat flying around it would have to have H.M.P. grease type fitted.
You will have to find a home for it.
Don't leave it out in the cold this time of year.
New project for you.
Already I perceive problems with the preload bearing assembly based solely on your current Lat and Long.
The spring balance requirements are rated in pounds and although I did mention to you back along about your need to convert from that Mickey Mouse (MM) stuff to proper Ibs measurements ( i.e. Imperial ) I see that to date that this does not appear to have taken place.
As such it will not be correctly possible for you to 100% apply the conversion factor calculation here, rounding it up decimal point wise will not leave you with the exact conversion factor necessary.
Although some might suggest it may be near enough having seen ( but not fully understood ) a lot of your advanced design features I realise that these conversion factors might not be acceptable to you and as such you may well have to reconsider the Mickey Mouse angle V the proper angle after all.
Emigration is the only way out here methinks.
So onwards and upwards with your preloaded bearing calculations necessary for the fitment of wheel bearings in marine engines.
I look forward to your reply with much interest.
However when all is said and done I wish you well with incorporating preload taper bearing adjustments particularly concerning gearbox primary input shafting settings.
Skefco, Timken and the like refers.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Well, finally, a movie that shows that there is a cold-driven engine. this refutes a bit the current theory of heat engines, it also extends it to "cold" engines. So the Lord Kelvin's laws only work in a narrow range of reality .. Here, shown how a tightly corked plastic bottle changes the volume of soybeans as a result of pouring cold water on it .. So there is a vacuum inside it. This negative pressure can be introduced into the engine under a vacuum, such as in aviation pneumatic applications powered by negative pressure from the Veturi nozzle during the flight. and it is imaginative that, however, we can make such an engine, using a few bottles and valves, which all the time, when the cold comes to them, will give them a vacuum and the engine will rotate all the time. Here is a movie and the principles of operation of the engine on negative pressure. Well, maybe the global warming will not threaten us.

https://youtu.be/NvV5bD7Scg0?t=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2thngd9AGI

Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Fine Andrew but where's the preload inf. here?
Have these blades got inserts fitted?
What's "normal pressure air?"
It can only run one way, i.e. non reversible
We have to remember air pressure varies according to Lat./Long.
What the operation rpm?
So many questions to be answered Andrew.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

having dealt with a venturi nozzle for filling boilers with feed water, I wouldn't want to pin my life on it in this manner. The finickiest static piece of kit imaginable
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

JK wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 am having dealt with a venturi nozzle for filling boilers with feed water, I wouldn't want to pin my life on it in this manner. The finickiest static piece of kit imaginable
Oh yes, I will agree with it .. But this venturi will also be good .. and interesting ..

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Merlyn wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:37 am Fine Andrew but where's the preload inf. here?
Have these blades got inserts fitted?
What's "normal pressure air?"
It can only run one way, i.e. non reversible
We have to remember air pressure varies according to Lat./Long.
What the operation rpm?
So many questions to be answered Andrew.
Yes Merlyn, there are still many things ahead of us .. But we already know that it is defined and that it is possible. Because everything is relative, and it depends on how you look at it ..
Well, those from global warming may have less arguments already. it's enough to make a good deal now .. :D

Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Thinking about Venturis I remember well their use age particularly in the sixties.
Some of the smaller four and six cylinder diesels were fitted with Venturis in the inlet manifolds.
Take off the air cleaner ducting and to one side was the open pipe of the Venturi.
In the inlet manifold was a butterfly valve which when closed effectively blocked off the air induction.
This was tickover.
The pipe fitted ran down to the end of the injection pump DPA ( or inline ) whereby it controlled by vacuum a diaphragm for moving the rack bar or throttle spindle for DPA ones.
So the butterfly flap ( Rodded or Bowden cabled controlled ) when fully opened created maximum inches of mercury measurement which meant full throttle.
Except when a common failure occurred.
The vacuum pipe had to have no air induction anywhere save for inside the inlet manifold in order to work properly and a common fault of failure and cause of erratic tickover ( hunting ) was the pipe, especially if unsupported would ( like an unsupported injector pipe ) stress fracture ( not a 360 degree ) marginally thus drawing in air.
I well remember the ends of the pipe were flared, some a single flare and some a double flare
Still got the flaring kit with all sizes of mandrels, different adapters for single flares V double flares.
This fault was initially difficult to find, I have seen folk change the pump in error but as with all things once you knew where to look it was an easy diagnosis.
The fracture, sometimes hard to see was everytime at the foot of the flare, never anywhere else.
Don't see them as Common rail systems (and before ) don't use them.
All the above not to be confused with EGR valve systems mind.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

And I have to help again! In order to free the ship in the Suez Canal, it is necessary to place special airbags at the front under its hull, used by rescuers during construction accidents and fill them with air. They will raise them, but maybe they will allow them to run off into the water.

https://www.savatech.com/products/lifti ... 5-psi.html

Andrew
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Probably shear the bow off Alex
"Moments about a point"
Unsupported load and distribution of therein methinks.
Very very low psi required here.
LP Compressors.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Well today I published my article about the basics of my new4stroke engine as a preprint, but on the very important site SAE.org
Here what is this SAE for the automotive and aviation industries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_International

The article can be downloaded and commented on. This is my first step on this platform ..
To understand this engine, you need to slowly learn it from scratch .. to be able to design its wonderful properties ..

https://mobilityrxiv.sae.org/