New engine

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Feliks
Superintendent
Currently located: Kraków,Polska

Re: New engine

Post by Feliks »

Well, this is my new idea ... I decided to get rid of force, guide the piston ...
 This gives an average of about 10% higher efficiency of the engine, because we do not waste energy on friction .. In marine, eolnobrotowych, so far used to be used crosshed.
Instead, I used such a machanism, based on oil like a pump, with a rope as a working element .. Because the rope can not be "pushed", I put the other such arm in motion to the other side .. And from this simple connecting rod driving the crankshaft. Thanks to this, there is no side force anywhere in the whole mechanism .. It is in a traditional design, very large force, reaching up to 1/6 of the total force in the connecting rod driving the crankshaft .. Here its size is calculated .. I think that the average 10% of the engine's reliability will be obtained. The engine has very small orots, 100 rows per minute, and I think that this will work ... In the steam locomotive, we will get rid of the slider, and its efficiency will increase significantly ..
Certainly the demand for oil, which suppressed this large friction, will be much smaller ..
Maybe someday it will go to F1 :D

http://www.marinediesels.info/Theory/Th ... Guides.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoCEcjJxPZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOtN7yFXP8Y

Regards Andrew :D
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

http://www.railroadhandcar.com/projects ... family.mp4

The film shows that with 3 movements of the arm, the vehicle travels about 10 meters .. with a piston stroke of 50 cm, having 300 cubic centimeters of air, a liter will travel 30 meters .. from 100 liters 3 km, and from a pressure of 200 atmospheres 60 km. .. 10 such tanks, and we have a range of 600 km .. 100-liter tank is a pipe with a diameter of 24 cm and a length of 2 meters in a square meter will fit 16 such tanks .. ie in the tank 1 m x 1 m x 2 m, 200 atm, it we have a range of 1000km ... I am wrong somewhere, because through my miastenia , I have a double vision .. Such an idea for a Polish family-owned electromobile car .. And it is with us (Poland) REAL, most importantly ..
No Tesla ..:D

:D :D
with a simple and light, cheap engine, pneumatic cylinder .. Just 3 cm in diameter, if the pressure is 10 atmospheres ..
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Well, there is one big advantage of such a crosshead. We can freely change the stroke, piston in relation to the crankshaft stroke .. For example, the stroke of the piston is the same, and the crankshaft stroke even twice as long .. Everything will depend on the demand, and what is most important in a given engine application ..
Of course, the rope has to go exactly in the axis of the piston ..

So that his way of placing the crankshaft, as you can see in the figure, from the side, will make the engine will be much lower ..
Of course, only for marine engines 102 rpm

Andrew :mrgreen:
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

What if you made Teflon so much ?
And maybe in diesel it would be enough to lubricate them with fuel ?

And the rolling bearings on the crank with the grease in the middle ?

This ... the engine could have been WITHOUT lubricating oil.

Just what would Castrol say ?

:D :D

Or maybe a carbon fiber line ?
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Okay, yes, do we continue to develop ideas ...
here one of the advantages: the possibility of completely separating the piston chamber, from the crankshaft chamber and main connecting rod .. This causes that the oil used for lubricating the shaft will not be contaminated with combustion products. He is in a clean state ... As someone will want to lubricate the piston with oil, it can use a different oil for this purpose.
However, I think that Teflon will fulfill its role ......

Andrew :D
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Here all the forces in the crank mechanism ... Reduction in the stroke of the shaft twice reducing, with the same stroke of the piston causes a large increase in efficiency, by reducing the forces of inertia. Also the force Nm sometimes reaches up to 30% of gas force , which can be seen in the charts.

http://www.new4stroke.com/sily%20w%20cylindrze.pdf

When it does not exist at all, the average efficiency of these 10 to 15% of the engine will be higher. only because of its lack ..

Adding a fall in the shaft stroke by 50% from the inertia forces, even the next 10% increase in efficiency will be able to achieve ... in total, some 25% efficiency will be better ...

Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Well welcome back to Felixs whose absence I thought was due to his being on a long range submarine akin to a Nuclear one but in this case obviously powered by a Nodding Donkey type engine as depicted on the site by him.
However there would appear to be many unanswered questions as to the design of this particular engine.
Is it LNG or HFO or both?
Where is the piston crown as there appears to be no " land " between the top compression ring and the missing top of the piston?
Is it in the post?
The ring arrangement appears to be a Tufnel type arrangement rather than the standard compression/oil control ring setup?
There is no Gudgeon pin displayed so how does the Conrod turn about the piston?
Without the Gudgeon pin how does the thrust side of the piston wear fare against the liner?
Is it parent bore or linered?
Is it two or four Stroke?
What's the method of attachment of the sharp piece of string i.e. The rope?
What's the rope material?
Polypropylene, nylon, hemp, sisal or what?
What's the rope throw?
Is it left or right?
How many strands in the layup?
How many strands in each section?
Can you splice it behind your back when watching the boring telebox as you would a 4 inch wire rope?
Has it got like a wire rope a different center core set up to absorb the correct grade fish oil lubricant?
While I take on board the tensile stress rating how do you determine the compressive stress rating?
How is the rope/sharp piece of string attached to the counterbalance weights?
What's the engine rotation, left or right or is it ambidextrous?
What's the best rotation?
What's the max. RPM on a good day?
Is it a single cyl. Set up or is it a multi cyl.?
Is it inline or V formation?
Could it operate in the horizontal mode?
The lubricant method, could large Perspex type inspection covers be machined and fitted with inspection hatches fitted to access grease nipples on the mains and big Ends?
At low RPM could you with practice lock a grease gun onto the nipples and pump away?
Is there enough clearance for you to jump up and down on the greasegun lever should you encounter a blocked nipple?
Would the nipples be the lock on hexican type or the standard round ones?
Would the ships compressors be man enough to have an air operated grease gun fitted without compromising an emergency start up?
Are there other rods on the other side of your diagrams for the cross head/conrod setup?
Are you confident that the piston crown is actually in the post before startup?
Are the securing crown bolts high tensile and are they right or left hand?
What are the thread formations, 55 or 60 degrees? ( imperial or metric ? )
Is this the mark one eyeball model or otherwise?
Has your previous assistant got four rings yet and has he been measured accordingly for his new suit and what exactly is ( if any ) his input into the Nodding Donkey type engine?
How many hours on type?
Will this set up lend itself to surface ships and operate as satisfactorily as the long range non surfacing for months sub?
Could you bolt on a multi rotation electric motor onto the crank as an emergency " get you home job " ?
So many questions to be answered before you patent this design as I feel sure that many folks on the site could be, as we speak be inclined to set up a production run which will of course require you to work on way beyond the statutory 65 years old log off retirement requirement
Could this invention be modified should it not take off and lend itself ( for example ) to perhaps such a thing as a wrist watch engine?
If not what about a pocket watch perhaps?

So many as yet unanswered questions and I would look forward to your replies with much interest.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

737/5000
MERLYN, thank you for all the questions you have formulated. There are even a few that I did not ask myself.
Well, the first basic, regarding my stay on the underwater stage .. so I used to retire there, and I'm almost 67 years old .. I will not give her altitude, because I probably thought it was a joke ..
In contrast, I am probably permanently also weakened, from a disease that has stuck to me from this stay constantly under severe stress. But not everyone can experience this because a very rare disease - :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myasthenia_gravis

Therefore, if you ask about eyes, sometimes I see the problem twice ... which can be beneficial .. :D
By copying your questions, I will try to give you an answer.
Is it LNG or HFO or both? -- jest of course both
Where is the piston crown as there appears to be no " land " between the top compression ring and the missing top of the piston? here we have a library of marine pistons. But water can be cooled and have telon rings. best ..

Is it in the post? written comment.. :D

The ring arrangement appears to be a Tufnel type arrangement rather than the standard compression/oil control ring setup? These rings, as if they might not need oil, but how they must have it ...

There is no Gudgeon pin displayed so how does the Conrod turn about the piston? Gudeon pin is not needed in the piston .. he's just on the shoulders ... :D
Without the Gudgeon pin how does the thrust side of the piston wear fare against the liner? It does not wear out at all .. :D

Is it parent bore or linered? ?? linered
Is it two or four Stroke? of course, both kinds ..
What's the method of attachment of the sharp piece of string i.e. The rope? special rounded screw terminals
What's the rope material? Traditional steel, but maybe you can use carbon fiber?
Polypropylene, nylon, hemp, sisal or what? you can experiment :D
What's the rope throw? ? :D
Is it left or right? probably indifferent
How many strands in the layup?
How many strands in each section? maybe you need a special multi-layered?
Can you splice it behind your back when watching the boring telebox as you would a 4 inch wire rope? Yes, of course, because you have so much strength :D
Has it got like a wire rope a different center core set up to absorb the correct grade fish oil lubricant? Yes, I can still have a Teflon shirt

While I take on board the tensile stress rating how do you determine the compressive stress rating? Maybe she should be flat ..
How is the rope/sharp piece of string attached to the counterbalance weights? Ask mechanics from the oil fields
they are probably different ... they will say which will be the best
What's the engine rotation, left or right or is it ambidextrous? it ambidextrous
What's the best rotation?
What's the max. RPM on a good day? For now, I think about 102 rpm, but I dream about it, and at one time and a few thousand .. Who knows?
Is it a single cyl. Set up or is it a multi cyl.? multi
Is it inline or V formation? yes
Could it operate in the horizontal mode? yes .. it is a steam engine, and it can be a locomotive.
The lubricant method, could large Perspex type inspection covers be machined and fitted with inspection hatches fitted to access grease nipples on the mains and big Ends? Yes, according to the rules of safety ...But preferably on ball bearings sealed with grease, such as in the wheels of the car ..
At low RPM could you with practice lock a grease gun onto the nipples and pump away?
Is there enough clearance for you to jump up and down on the greasegun lever should you encounter a blocked nipple? ? Ball bearings
Would the nipples be the lock on hexican type or the standard round ones? Maybe some must be eccentric so that the proper tension of the rope could be done?
Would the ships compressors be man enough to have an air operated grease gun fitted without compromising an emergency start up? They must be engineers, not losers.
Are there other rods on the other side of your diagrams for the cross head/conrod setup? Yes of course . Here we have this new possibility
Are you confident that the piston crown is actually in the post before startup? Sure
Are the securing crown bolts high tensile and are they right or left hand? Basic mechanic
What are the thread formations, 55 or 60 degrees? ( imperial or metric ? ) it depends on where you have the port
Is this the mark one eyeball model or otherwise? Always be on Cyklopa you have to be careful
Has your previous assistant got four rings yet and has he been measured accordingly for his new suit and what exactly is ( if any ) his input into the Nodding Donkey type engine? That's how he reminded me of eating walnuts, and I still eat them, because they digest better :D
How many hours on type? start 03.august 2010 http://forums.autosport.com/topic/74960 ... ne/page-33
Will this set up lend itself to surface ships and operate as satisfactorily as the long range non surfacing for months sub? oh YES
Could you bolt on a multi rotation electric motor onto the crank as an emergency " get you home job " ? yes
So many questions to be answered before you patent this design as I feel sure that many folks on the site could be, as we speak be inclined to set up a production run which will of course require you to work on way beyond the statutory 65 years old log off retirement requirement It does not concern me anymore, I am 67 years old .But as you can see, he is still working, maybe something to retire will be additional..
Could this invention be modified should it not take off and lend itself ( for example ) to perhaps such a thing as a wrist watch engine? Yes, he publishes it for the modifications to be possible.
If not what about a pocket watch perhaps? oh yes, but I'm sure you'll need to answer the right questions for a few questions ..
Regards, I wrote what I could ...

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Or maybe such a rope made of such a chain or a timing belts ?
Half milion ibs ...
https://www.usarollerchain.com/240-4-Qu ... 4-10ft.htm

Or some game ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMCodsfl9w

Or so very quiet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYI5ORbX8g8

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Such a steam machine can also be ... :D

Feliks
Superintendent

Post by Feliks »

Here is a textbook of a young handyman..

http://www.cimac.com/cms/upload/history ... t_2013.pdf

Andrew
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Thank you Felix for your prompt reply and may I commiserate with you concerning your defective eyesight problems.
Your remark that this can sometimes be beneficial has given me much thought concerning this and I have to say that the only benefit that I can think of right now is endured perhaps in the counting of your monies.
However, back to the engineering side of things.
" The underwater stage and your retirement there and the altitude reference together with the joke " reference cause me to realize that I have a problem here, the only conclusion I can draw at this time is that perhaps these statements could be lost in translation possibly?
The reference to " her altitude " rather throws me even further as over here altitude = height and the submarine side of things refer to depths?
Never seen a Telon ring other than a PTFE one so puzzled by that one.
The sealed ball bearing statement?
I am thinking of maybe a twin non thrust roller assembly arrangement might be better here as the rollers would lend themselves to a greater load absorbing surface area and as such although being sealed and thereby lifed would exceed the hours life expectancy of a ball bearing assembly.
Packed with what grease?
HMP MMP LMP , what would you chose?
Should tapered bearings be used the of course they could both be accessed for repacking and checking roller faces and inner and outer tracks for pitting etc together with any early cage signs of breakup. Parallel roller bearings would not of course permit this process.

Sorry to hear that your valued assistant has not yet progressed beyond the Walnut stage as yet but perhaps he should be advised that his future Chiefs ticket will involve the consumption of other types/ makes of nuts other than and in addition to Walnuts"
A " rope made of chain or timing belts "
Now here could maybe lie a problem whereby it would perhaps have to an endless chain for the basic engineering ruling concerning removable link chains .
The open end of a joining link should never face the direction of travel and as this installation has a two way direction of travel one of them is going to contravene this rule.
Furthermore an endless chain breaking could not have joining links fitted as this would yet again contra the ruling.
You show a quad setup but what about just a duplex one here?
You then state a "timing belt " possibility "
Why then is the chain not a timing chain one has to ask oneself and yet the belt is?
Why does it have to be timed?
It's not driving a camshaft or a mechanical injection pump or the like so why is the chain non timed and yet the belt is?
A multiribbed timing belt is a continuous circle with no break so how can this work?
I would consider in the case of the timing belt that perhaps a jockey wheel tensioner assembly might be necessary?

Concerning Donkey engines we have one or more near us that has been pumping away for some 35 years plus, gallons more left.
Huge plant assembly.

In conclusion as it is a steam engine black oil and graphite here and in writing I feel I ought to mention I still have my bearing scraper together with engineers blue and bearing leads and of course a proper micrometer from the early sixties.
An imperial one which as we older hands well know produces a better outcome and finish all round.
Not a lot of folk know that.
I can't say much more at this stage as owing to the advanced nature of this product I feel an invoice could well be in the post to your good self for modifications leading to and of course including the Mk. Two model emergence.

Ps,

Don't forget the D valves and of course most important, the Governor.

No, not the centrifugal one whose bobweights brain you when they fly off when overspeeding.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.