That's a lot of hits

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

That's a lot of hits

Post by JK »

Martin tells me that there is 30,000 hits to this site a month. That is 1000 hits a day.
Which means approximately700 hits are engineers who are not sharing their knowledge. if you discount the search engines.

So, my friends, are you planning to die with all of that experience securely locked away in the brainbox, or are you sharing it with the engineers that are up and coming?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: That's a lot of hits

Post by The Dieselduck »

Actually, "hit" is not really a true measure of a website's traffic. A hit is considered a request to the server, which some web pages may have lots of graphics, each time these graphics load = 1 hit. So the measure used is visit which means...

Analytics measures both visits and visitors in your account. Visits represent the number of individual sessions initiated by all the visitors to your site. If a user is inactive on your site for 30 minutes or more, any future activity will be attributed to a new session. Users that leave your site and return within 30 minutes will be counted as part of the original session.

The initial session by a user during any given date range is considered to be an additional visit and an additional visitor. Any future sessions from the same user during the selected time period are counted as additional visits, but not as additional visitors.

So basically I'm pretty happy with my servers, since they probably handle millions of hits per month. So far in the last 30 days, the site(s) - main and blog, have just a little over 32,500 visits. That is impressive and speaks to your point exactly. But overall if it was busier, I would not be able to keep up, ehehehe. I feel that people will contribute when they feel welcomed and its easy to contribute, and of course, when they have something to say.

But yes, do comment, it's for our own collective good.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I was in the head office last week. One of my co-workers went to one of his external hard drives, spent such a long time sorting through files that I started to feel guilty then gave me several huge documents that I needed-but didn't know that I needed at the time. When I finally had a chance to look at them, it was being like handed a gold mine.
He told me one of his instructors always told him that knowledge is no good held in a vault but had to be shared. The problem is that too many view it as power and the means of stopping someone getting ahead. I personally like passing on what I know or can find. That is how you find out if you are wrong, because someone will correct you PDQ.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Defeating this "tighwad" attitude was actually one of the main driving factors to establishing this site. I had encountered many people in the industry with that attitude, way back when I was doing my Marine Engineering Apprenticeship, in 1999. November actually, I forgot to "celebrate" that this year... On Nov 20, 2011, the main site turned 12 years old. Yikes, has it been that long. Longest job I ever held. ehehehe
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

"Tightwad attitude". I like that. It describes it exactly.

I do understand it though. How many times have you heard from the CE, so and so is a grand engineer because he figured out what what happening with such and such, but the so and so engineer had woken you up during your off watch and said such and such isn't working and I don't know what is wrong with it. Have you any thoughts? So, you tell them what to look for, how to set up the system again and roll over and go back to sleep. When you get up the so and so is a hero because he knew what was wrong and sorted it out .

Or, the fellow who set up the system doesn't came back next shift and the knowledge you don't get from the manual goes with him.

In an industry where you can get fired for pushing a button to start a motor that is ready to fail anyway because of a Contractors mistake, I guess it is understandable why this attitude happens.
carbob
Leak Patrol
Currently located: St. John's, NL

Post by carbob »

OK, I admit that I spend more time on here as a 'ghost' reading the forum than actually writing in it, but I figure if I don't have anything to contribute, or my thoughts have already been articulated, leave well enough alone.

I don't spend that much time on here, usually while in the ECR on DP watch, but it does pass the time admirably, and I have put pen to paper a few times, as it were, for what it's worth.

If something comes along that I can add to, I certainly will.

Martin, this is a great site, I hope it continues as such. There is a wealth of information poked away here and there, a great boon to new comers to the industry, and the those of us that might have become a bit jaded with the whole affair. Keep up the good work!!
JK
Enduring Contributor

Carbob

Post by JK »

Next time Carbob you are perusing while on DP watch, how about posting and telling us about your job. I'd be interested in hearing about other people's work. I know it is engine boilers, and pumps, but give us a description of your plant.
I'm stuck behind a desk so it would be living vicariously through someone else's watch.
carbob
Leak Patrol

Post by carbob »

Here goes nothing, JK!!

At present, we are hanging off the back of an FPSO off the coast of Brazil, taking the 1st parcel of a 2 part load. In case you were wondering, I am working on a shuttle tanker. I am Chief Engineer here now, but that position is fast moving into a glorified clerk's position, but I digress.

The plant here consists of:
2 - Samsung-MAN 7S50MC 2-stroke slow speed main engines, 12740bhp each.
4 - Ssangyong-MAN L32/40 4-stroke generators, 2-6 cylinder and 2-7 cylinder, 10.5 MW total generating capacity.
2 - Mitsubishi MAC-25B water tube boilers, 16 bar service pressure.
2 bow and 2 stern tunnel thrusters
4 plate coolers for the L/T system, 5 pumps for the L/T system (2 stbd, 3 port), 4 S/W pumps for raw water cooling, 4 H/T pumps for the M/E jackets (2 port/stbd), 4 fuel units with 16 circ/supply pumps and 8 heaters, 9 Px's (4 HFO, 4L/O and 1 MDO), 2 CPP pumps per side, Zero pitch system each side, 2 Fire and G/S pumps, 1 S/W spray pump, 1 scrubber cooling water pump, 2 deck seal water pumps, 2 condensate pumps, 1 vacuum condensor for 1 steam turbine cargo pump, 1 air ejector for the condensor, 2 electric cargo pumps, 1 COW pump, 2 ballast pumps, water re-hardening filter, Bilge pump, Sludge pump, OWS, L/O transfer pump, 2 evaporators with ejector pumps, (pause, I'm walking around the engine room in my mind's eye), 3 boiler feed water pumps, 2 MDO pumps for the generators (with air-operated pumps for emcy), 2 boiler fuel pumps, 2 boiler heaters, 2 main air start compressors, 1 control air compressor, 1 general service ar compressor, 2 control air driers, 1 G/S air drier, 2 accom. A/C plants, 2 reefer plants, 1 hot water calorifier (water heater, 1st time I had an alarm on this, I didn't even know what a calorifier was!!), 1 sewage treatment system, 1 emcy. fire pump, 1 aft deck hydraulics unit, 3 Porsgrunn rotary vane steering gear systems, 4 forced draft fans, 1 incinerator, 2 IG blowers, 1 IG scrubber, 2 potable / distilled water pumps and hydrophores, 4 engine room ventilation fans, ad nauseum.......

That pretty much covers most of the plant, JK, but I suspect that I may have missed a scatter pump, fan, etc, for which I am sorry. Like you behind your desk, I spend most of my time there now as well, and may be a bit out of contact with the smaller items.

Hope this is somewhat interesting for you, like you say, an engine room is an engine room, but there certainly are differences.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

since in my minds eye I had you off of Sable Island, this is interesting! The Mates take care of ballast?

As for your clerk comment, the CEs I work with had stronger comments on the matter!

Thank you!
carbob
Leak Patrol

Post by carbob »

I really should read what I am typing. We only have 2 steering gear units, and a general service air compressor.

As to the mates taking care of ballast, that's always been the case on the tankers I've worked on, which is all I've worked on actually. They can have it for me.

And to the clerk issue, as with most jobs these days, land or sea, the amount of administration is staggering. I think everyone in the office with an e-mail address must get paid by the number they send out. We used to have a clerk until lately, but that position has been made redundant, so that was sloughed off on the Captain, myself, 1/O, 2/0, 1/E, so more keys to bash. As it stands now, I have a grub order sitting on my desk to put into the system for the cook. Stronger words might be in order, but at the end of the ranting and raving, it still has to be done.

Go to sea, see the world....they don't tell you you will see it from behind a desk!!
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Nothing irritates the CE and Captains more, then getting multiple emails from multiple people on the same topic. HQ doesn't get it, I swear. Sometimes the guys who aren't as computer literate are the lucky ones, but they are getting few and far between as the older guys retire.
We've come a long way from communications blackout for days on end to the days of instant communication.
That just reminded me of something.
I went on watch at 4 AM and there was a dead ground on the 120and the 240v boards . AHA, good time to find this I think. Everyone is in bed. I eventually tracked it down to the galley range.
I just had finished when the CE blew in the MCR looking like he had seen a ghost, WTF is going on??? he grumbles.

It turns out that he had just pulled an all-nighter to get all his paperwork done before hitting port that morning. We had had a rough passage in the N Atlantic with a load of zinc ore and he suffered from sea-sickness.
He had just finished printing everything out, when I knocked the power out to his cabin. I asked him quite innocently :twisted: if he had forgotten to hit save. Apparently they had no UPS for the computers. In fact, right up until 6 months before there had been none onboard.
I wonder if I would have been fired if he had lost it all LOL.

A good sized plant for a couple of engineers. Are you getting the inert gas from the boiler uptakes or have a separate IG Generator?

Every once in a while I get the itch to go back, but my knees are about 70 years old now and telling me daily.