Italy cruise ship Costa Concordia aground near Giglio

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Italy cruise ship Costa Concordia aground near Giglio

Post by JK »

They start parbuckling on Monday. I wish there was live feed.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

spoke too soon, watching now,
the starboard upper deck is just about clear of the water
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

The time lapse photo sequence is quite impressive
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JFC
Mechanic

Post by JFC »

Here are some very good pictures of the vessel now on this website.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013 ... ia/100592/

Amazing!
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Those are some really great pictures.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

The Captain is blaming the helmsman for the accident at his trial. Sad excuse for a Captain and manager.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I remember reading in an earlier trial report that the Helmsman had received a long sentance because there was a 5 minute delay betweemn him being given an urgent Helm order and him either acknowleding or obeying it. There was some suspicion that his English was not good enough to understand the orders he was given, so he ignored them.
I don't see that as an excuse for the Captain or other Senior Officers, they should have verified that he was competent before putting him on the wheel.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I think you hit it on the head there.
Captain or other Senior Officers, they should have verified that he was competent before putting him on the wheel
yeah for sure, and the company should have done the same about the
Captain or other Senior Officers
. Which is why I think there was a major breakdown in management, and they should not be allowed to be dumping blame on the lower echelons.

Lack of of proper oversight and management structure, was most certainly beneficial to the bottom line of the Corp, and the focus should be rightly on the overall system failure. This is a back to the future moment, where in the eighties, shoddy operators were reckless and ultimately IMO introduce the ISM code to attempt to redress this lack of proper oversight and downloading of culpability.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

"ISM", "Safety Management".......When I was serving as Chief in a British flag tanker, we had 12 "Safety Management" manuals to read and sign as read within a week of joining ship. I did so and found a glaring non-conformity. When I pointed it out to the Superintendent, he told me "We don't go by that, it's only a guide."
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

This covers the electrical aspects of the sinking. Fascinating reading, the electrician is a hero.
costa concordia.pdf
(2.38 MiB) Downloaded 438 times
This is from MER
JK
Enduring Contributor

Dockwise Vanguard to Lift Costa Concordia

Post by JK »

It just gets more and more interesting what they are planning!
From GCaptain:
Owners of the Costa Concordia have contracted the world’s largest semi-submersible heavy lift ship to lift the now-upright shipwreck and carry it, not tow it, to a location where it will be scrapped.

That’s right… if all goes as planned, the Costa Concordia will be lifted -in one piece- and transported onboard a ship to its final destination.
There are some animations of the ship here:
http://gcaptain.com/dockwise-vanguard-t ... om-giglio/
jimmys
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Glasgow Scotland

Post by jimmys »

Around the mid nineties I was appointed UKGov build engineer for a major RoRo ferry project on the Clyde. She was the first major unit to be built to the new passenger ship rules and was a two compartment ship. At that time I was the Examiner of Engineers at Glasgow Marine Office. As a roro she was rule freeboard, the car deck was the bulkhead deck and it needed to be low so that you did not need a 4x4 to climb the linkspan from shore to ramp. The length, breadth and draught was limited by port regulations and the freeboard was more or less tabular and related to freeboard length. Twin engines straight, CP props, ford and aft thrusters, 25 knots. The Naval Architects were running a new computer package for subdivision and results were being forwarded to me. It was run on a central mainframe at the time. The set point was the margin line which was four inches below the bulkhead deck with any two compartments, adjacent or not flooded. The Naval Architect asked me to mark what I thought for engine room lengths and low and behold the ship sank on the computer. He started to iterate and the spaces got shorter and shorter. We just managed to have a straight engine in height wise without the sump and there was not room for sump adjacent. The length of space meant the sump went into the next space aft behind a watertight bulkhead. There is still people in this business who think a two compartment ship allows double the length of damage as against a one compartment ship. You can rest assured it is not so. There was no need for Mr Schettino to blame the crew he should have blamed the rules. Poor defence team.
It was so bad my boss asked me to check the subdivision by hand calcs and it was correct. Concordia built to same rules. A rule ship.
Ferry still goes after eighteen years.

regards
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Very Interesting JimmyS

Latest news from the courts is that the Captain was "entertaining" a Moldavian dancer. Ms Cemortan said that she had no ticket and her name wasn't in the passenger list officially

Read more at: http://www.vesselfinder.com/news/1579-C ... 022338#%21
Copyright © Vesselfinder
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

From my own, short, experience on cruise ships, I would say that it was not exactly uncommon for attractive Female passengers or entertainers to get an upgrade to the Master's suite, and later come back as his personal guest.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Well, it is confirmed, the Captain did bail from the ship on his own 2 feet.
He's looking at 20 years.

A witness in the Costa Concordia shipwreck trial has described how the captain jumped aboard a lifeboat, testifying that the commander was not the last to abandon the capsizing cruise ship. The testimony solidifies accusations that the captain did not fall off the troubled liner on to a lifeboat as he claims, but jumped to safety.
Francesco Schettino, the captain, is currently on trial in an Italian court on charges of manslaughter, abandoning ship and causing a shipwreck that resulted in the death of 32 people.
Stefano Iannelli, crewman-in-training, confirmed on Monday that Schettino jumped onto the roof of a lifeboat shortly before he did. Although he stated that he did not see any passengers left onboard, helicopters rescued people from the capsized vessel hours after they abandoned the Concordia.
Iannelli said the Concordia was listing so badly that the crew formed a human chain to avoid falling while they helped people, as he described the horrific scene while the ship was going down.
http://www.maritime-executive.com/artic ... 925312#%21