Pacific Princess

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Pacific Princess

Post by JK »

or the "Love Boat", ( notwithstanding I have heard many other ships have that designation applied to them ) has hit the beach.
She was built in the early 70's and showing her age was laid up for 2 years in Italy before being sold to the ship breakers.

You could do a whole thread on some of the hilarious lines from the show.

My favorite was when Captain Stubing, on the bridge, called the CE and told him that cylinder such and such on one of the engines was making a strange noise.
But then again the ship seemed to function well with only a Captain, a cruise director, a bartender, a doctor and a gopher. I wonder what they would have made of ISM!

jimmys
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Glasgow Scotland

Re: Pacific Princess

Post by jimmys »

I had been of passenger ships in the sixties, but in 1985 I took an agency job with Clyde Marine in Glasgow and the vessel was the SS Amerikanis. Amerikanis means American Maiden and there was not many maidens on that ship. She was an old steamer built for Union Castle in 1952 named Kenya Castle. I was Chief Engineer. She was over 30 years old at that time.
She had been on a long charter to Costa even though owned by Chandris and I will not say much more about that. I worked for Chandris at the time.
A lot of filming was carried out on that vessel mostly in Puerto Rica, they used the Old Mans and Pursers and my cabin and the saloons. Nothing in the engine room it was a bit hot for them.
The Caribbean passenger trade was just building up and we worked the Meddy in the summer.
She was known as the "Love Boat" and there was plenty of it. She was scrapped in 2001 and not before time.

regards