Changes in CCG

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Changes in CCG

Post by JK »

The Coast Guard has announced the reduction of 5 regions into 3.
Central & Arctic and Quebec will become Central with HQ in Montreal.
Maritimes and Newfoundland regions merged wth HQ in St John's.
BC HQ will move from Vancouver to Victoria.
Ottawa HQ is shuffling their management.
Radio stations closing and their functions moved to others.

Over 700 people affected.
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Re: Changes in CCG

Post by Sébastien »

Alright JK,
This one you have to explain for me. Usually, the idea of merging departments or 'regions' involves one of the two disappearing to save money. In my opinion, the Coast Guard base in Québec city will probably never close because there is always serious ice bottlenecks a few miles from the base that would threaten the viability of seaway ports upstream like Montréal and Trois-Rivières. As far as I know, the only Coast Guard vessels in or near Montréal are small units mostly for SAR duties in the summer. Knowing all this, why would anyone in their right mind put any offices anywhere near Montréal. If the goal really is to save money, it seems to me that common sense would dictate one of two options: either close down the Ottawa offices and send them to Québec or close down the Québec offices and send them to Ottawa. How does relocating both to a third city save any money at all? The same holds true with moving Vancouver to Victoria; I love Victoria, I spent seven years there, but wouldn't this be like changing a dolllar for four quarters?

P.S. On a more personal note, what does this mean for your career in Halifax?
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I honestly can't give you an answer.
The Federal Departments were told that they had to develop proposols for permanent cost savings in their organization. These proposals were developed at very high level and presented to Government, approved and now being implemented.
As for affecting me, I'm a tiny minnow in a big pool.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Ideally, money, a huge chunk of it, can be saved by charging for icebreaking services to keep the port of Montreal open in winter. Cost recovery should be essential, we are wasting millions of dollars in appeasement costs for no return whatsoever
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Probably part of the plan, JollyJack.
Just like TCs increased inspection fees.

PSAC has posted the numbers on their site:

http://www.psac-afpc.com/news/2012/rele ... 17-e.shtml
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Charges should be applied for salvage, too. By all means, take the crew off a disabled fishing vessel, but to tow it in, get a signed Lloyds Open Form, or call a commercial tug company. Rescue craft are for rescue, not for free salvage services.

The "increased charges" of which you speak are not really increased charges at all. They are charges which have been in effect since 1st July 2007 when the CSA 2001 came into force and are part of the Scale of Fees attached to that Act. They have not been applied to date. eg. a new Safe Manning Document is $400, it's in the scale of fees, has been since 2007, but has never been charged. Same with the standby fee, when an Inspector is requested to attend a vessel. Never been applied to date, but these fees, in force since 1st July 2007, are being applied now.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... ,_c._1405/

It's all in here, sections 28 and 29 cover the fees mentioned above.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

As you can imagine, it was a staggering announcement for many individuals who are very competent and knowledgeable marine professionals who have been with the organization since their late teens.

No matter that they are going to be absorbed into the organization elsewhere...who can really afford to let that many 1st class tickets go adrift with all of the experience behind it, morale will crash. Not everyone will be able to be restaffed. With the merger of Quebec and Central, managerial positions formally unilingual will now have to be bilingual.
As for the personnel shuffle from Quebec and Prescott to Montreal and Vancouver to Victoria, how much savings are there really? But I guess it was permanent savings in salary dollars that made the decision.

As for icebreaking, Global Warming has really changed that business. There really hasn't been the ice in the Gulf of St Lawrence like there used to be. The Arctic has changed as well. A new future for the CG with the announcements and the new ships coming down the tubes. The next big thing will be whether the ships are armed or not, which will be a huge culture shock.