summertime lull

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Re: summertime lull

Post by Wyatt »

The Edmonton Queen, do you recall a Captain by the name of Henry Oakley? He was one of my first skippers I sailed with in the Arctic. I understand he was working on the old Queen after he retired from NTCL, he was over 75 years old. This man could read a river like no other, he never needed a chart and never lost a tow.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't Voith-Schneider drive a feathering paddlewheel system on a verticle axis?

Please remember that there is an appeals process in effect. First step is to discuss the exam with the Examiner concerned, and if there is no satisfaction, take it to Ottawa. From TP 2293, chapter 2:

2.13 Request for review
Within five days of receiving the results of an examination, applicants may request a review by the examiner who marked it and a meeting with the examiner. For this purpose the applicant fills out the Request for Review form provided with the examination paper.

2.14 Appeals
If, after meeting with the examiner, the applicant is still not satisfied, a formal written appeal may be submitted to the Director, Marine Personnel Standards and Pilotage, Ottawa. The examination will then be marked independently by two reviewing examiners at Headquarters, neither of whom is the original examiner. An average of the two marks will be taken, and the Director will inform the applicant in writing of the result.

The address is Place de Ville, 330 Sparks St., Ottawa, and the process is very fair and even-handed.

Service standards have been criticized on this forum, well here are the established ones from the TC website:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/se ... #examserve

You will see a feedback form attached, please provide some if you have any comments.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Post by Wyatt »

I suspect the information given by JollyJack might be intended for me, and thanks for that. But it was 15 years ago when I attempted my 1st class, three times, to no avail and no interview. Like I said, its all water under the bridge, there was no need for a 1st class certificate working with NTCL at that time, and at present there are only 4 vessels in their fleet of 14 ships that will require that certificate. I appreciate the knowledge of the appeal process, at the time I had no idea there was an appeal process. I didn't feel the need to rock the boat, for I did know of a couple of TC inspectors that wanted me to take it further but I was afraid of the repercussions that might have, for it was years past when they came to me asking why I hadn't obtained my 1st. I am happy with where I am at right now and with what I am doing. Time to start furling the sails, so to speak.
And I think you are bang on with the Voith Schneider comparison, good observation.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

On 1st July 2007, the Canada Shipping Act 2001 and associated Regulations came into force. The old Crewing Regulations and Certification Regulations went "oot the windee" and the Marine Personnel Regulations came into effect. These regultions state what's what with very little wiggle room. It is what it is (I've read that somewhere....), Examiners have some leeway in interpretation, but not a hellova lot! Unlike the old Crewing and Certification Regs, which date back to 1867, the MPR is very much alive and up to date. At this time, they are being overhauled to meet the Manila Amendments. TP 2293 will have to be amended too, to meet the new certificates, which were announced at CMAC in Ottawa.

The "God Complex" isn't there any more.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

I mentioned earlier that Canada made the grey list for Port State Conrol. Well, things have changed. The new listings came out recently. There's a "white list", a "grey list", a "Black list" and an "unlisted list" of flags with so few ships, they are not worth listing with Paris MOU. Canada is on that list. On the bright side, we're no longer on the "Gray List" and we won't make the "Black List", at least, not yet.