Sever residential ties and move?

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
TheDjent
Bilge Dweller

Sever residential ties and move?

Post by TheDjent »

So I've posted before about becoming a marine engineer. I'm 20 and eager to start a career, particularly in marine engineering. Good pay, time off, except the whole Canadian taxes shenanigans. So.

If I attained 4th CoC through BCIT starting in 2014 so on through ~2018
Can I just f*** off to say Panama or another White Listed STCW country as a canadian citizen but non resident (emigrant)?
And forthwith make standardized pay and move up the ranks as a Canadian for 10-15 years up to chief? Making world class money in a less expensive country that would also negate my income tax?

I think the alternatives are offshore banking and tax evasion which are no desires of mine. So what is a real-life legal plan of action for a young man to embark upon for marine engineering? Leaving Canada, paying no income tax, rich in a 3rd world-ish country in Central America?

Would I remain a canadian engineer and require to upgrade through transport Canada and hold my certificate in other countries? Is this likely to work? Or do I have to get some other certificate for where I would be living and spending? 6 months off in Central America would be beautiful! Sailing and diving. Visiting Canada (family).

Or should I just seek training in another country altogether? How does this part work I can't seem to find the info on it. How to obtain either CoC living abroad or STCW reg III/2 as a foreigner elsewhere. What's a better plan? What are the realities?
Help!?
Brad
Leak Patrol
Currently located: Canada

Re: Sever residential ties and move?

Post by Brad »

As I posted in another thread recently;

I've been working International since my cadetship over ten years ago. When I returned from my first trip, I went and saw a tax lawyer for advice. The main topic of discussion was obviously; "How do I keep the most amount of money?"
The reason I went to a lawyer before an accountant, is that all discussions were confidential, where as a certified accountant has to report to Revenue Canada any form of tax avoidance or wrongdoing. This is not to say I have done any wrong doing, but the discussion with the Lawyer at least was free of worry and we were able to discuss all options, including incorporating oneself, offshore accounts, non residency, OETC, socks full of cash, etc.
He also was able to recommend a few top accountants that would know how best to handle my taxes. Thus avoiding me going out and getting some accountant/bricklayer off the street.
The lawyer was about $400 for the hour, but over ten years, his advice has easily saved me thousands.
The end result for my individual situation was to go after the OETC, to which I did. Looks like I'll be going back to see him now that it's getting fazed out...

Hope this helps,

Brad
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Every jurisdiction is desperate for money, so a third world retreat might sound enticing but that comes at a cost, sooner or later. I have not heard of too many "rich" seafarers - money wise anyways. But the lower cost of living in a "third world country" is certainly attractive to people working on ships. I am no expert, but you don't necessarily have to give up your Cdn citizenship to do it. And with Citizenship, maintaining your license is not that big a deal, upgrading however is another matter, but that is a Transport Canada issue and it is quite difficult and expensive - right Brad. Taxes are based on your residency, not citizenship, so like brad says, get a tax lawyer to advise you.

The seafarer lifestyle is certainly more geared towards a single nomad, since pay is not really decent or steady enough to raise a family on here in Canada - at least in BC. If a family life is not on your radar, there is no reason not to consider moving from Canada. If you are able, get a EU license through a cadet program in say, Holland or UK, then live there or elsewhere. The licensing I understand is more straightforward to get and move up than in Canada. These licenses will open up more doors internationally.

Panamanian or similar license, I don't think is in your best interest, unless you plan on working on Panamanian ships (local waters) which I don't think is a pleasure cruise in itself, with reflective wages. With a EU / Cdn license you can get a Panamanian, Bahamas endorsement for a fee pretty easy, but it does not work the other way. Hong Kong, Singapore, might be another avenue to get your license. However getting training for a license outside Canada without being a resident of that country, can be far more expensive than here, and you probably need to be resident / citizen before you are actually issued a license. Do you, or have a parent with dual nationality? Immigration hassles can make this plan prohibitive - but if you already have access to residency, then this is certainly worthwhile exploring.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
jimmys
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Glasgow Scotland

Post by jimmys »

You do not need to be a resident or a citizen of UK to be issued with UK certificates you just need to have the seatime and sit the examinations and pass them.
I was made redundant from Texaco around 1983 and I moved offshore, I had a Class 1 Steam and Motor. I was issued with a Panamanian Certificate by their Embassy for any ship any horsepower, Chief Engineer.
To be non resident for tax purposes I was only allowed to enter UK for 66 days in any tax year. I was based in Dubai with Arab owners on continous contract. When I was due leave, I flew out the Gulf to Cyprus and flew my wife and children to meet me in Cyprus where we rented a flat in Limmasol and had a good holiday.
I then had my 66 days in the UK at home. As far as I know this is still on the go.
I did not have certificate study, but a good long study holiday in Dublin plus two months in college in UK is probably enough for certificate parts in the UK. You need to enquire in Canada as to allowances for non residents to return to Canada. As you get past two months in UK tommy the tax man starts to chase you. A UK accountant did my tax and national insurance and I was 100% legal. Not a penny in tax.
I made enough money at that and was able to put myself through Paisley University on their thick sandwich B.Eng.(Hons.). Six months at Uni and Six months working, 5 years study. A long slog. Half way through I got sponsorship from GovUK and I worked in the Board of Trade as Surveyor for six months.
Its all still able to be done in UK.

regards
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Excellent insight Jimmy, thanks. Must be very confusing after a while on where to call home.... ehehehe
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net