Movie Blooper

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Movie Blooper

Post by JK »

I watch the end of the movie "The Contract" yesterday, mainly because part of the plot centered around one of the CSL ships being wired to blow up.
They went through great lengths in the show to describe blowing up the ship, for whatever reason they would blow it up and the henchman went off to wire the detonator.
Next scene shows him with it wired up to a bank of CO2 bottles :shock: :roll: . I guess the implication was that they were a gas bottle and they would go off with great effect. :lol:
It was actually painful to watch.
I don't think I would mind being paid to run around on the for'd deck though, playing the modern day version of Cowboys and Indians like they were .
Anyways, bored here at work and thought I would relay this shining example of cinematography.
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

Still the worst has got to be 'Speed 2', where they managed to turn the ship, at full speed by moving the bow thruster one or two turns.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

or the guy dangles from a rope just in front of the turning prop when he is trying to feed the mooring line into it :shock: Turn the fuel off dummy, if you want 'er to stop.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Cruise control sucks !

Post by The Dieselduck »

You know I would have never though that Speed 2 would ever come up as a topic of discussion on this website, as a matter of fact I feel bad for admitting that I watch it in the first place.

I think the only worst movie was snake eyes - now that was really bad. Yes it was aboard a ship, a good cast with lots of potential, with plenty of opportunity to say something right but alas, stupidity from the start to the end, especially from the engineering standpoint. I think the only accurate representation of anything maritime was the "bridge officers". ehehehehehe

....oh I am going to get some :twisted: for that comment. :lol:
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

This is not a blooper but rather a funny moment in a movie: in the old classic Das Boot the second engineer bursts his bubble, starts screaming and wants off the sub. The chief engineer orders him back into the engine room at gun point and then two oilers come and forcefully bring him back into the hole. Imagine that happening today.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I just watched that on Saturday for the umpteenth time. I think it is the best ship movie made.

As for Speed2 , what a Godawful movie...though it was rather neat how they did a high speed bumper car run down the side of the tanker.
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

Worse still is when you are watching a Discovery channel program about shipping or ports or ‘Big Ship construction’ and they get basic facts completely arseways.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

I watched last Monday's episode of the CBC Series "The Border"
The episode concerned stowaways on a ship in "Halifax Harbor". The show started with scenes of Halifax but quickly switched to the Algobay in Toronto Harbor.
Many of the Algoma Logos, such as the Stack Logo and the Vessel Name were blanked out but on the Bridge and in the engine room many "Algoma" policy plaques were plainly visible.
The ship was supposed to be ready to sail but the Winter Gangway was very securely welded to the ship side.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Has anyone seen the new series, The Guard, shot out west on the SAR 47 footers?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Image is a priority

Post by The Dieselduck »

I just downloaded it, but I haven't started watching it yet. It looks pretty drama "ish". I forget which they are using, but I believe its the Cape St James and is filmed in Squamish BC.

The show season is over but you can catch it on your Global TV stations, on Tuesday nights at 10pm, or download it from the Global Website.

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/globalsh ... index.html
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Brent H
Bilge Dweller

The Guard

Post by Brent H »

Don't bother watching.....

embarassed to work for them with that on the air....

All things being told the company making the series has no budget to film on any of the bigger ships. Coast guard gave them time on the 47's for the PR.

No engineering, ranks and stuff all messed up, way to over the top for dramma

yuck
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

So, gave them vessel time without any creative consulting to get it right.

I'm glad I didn't waste my time looking for it on the tube.