Scavenge air and water mist catcher

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
astat101
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: UK

Re: Scavenge air and water mist catcher

Post by astat101 »

1956 - first charge air cooler from Vestas aircoil
1956 - first charge air cooler from Vestas aircoil
Hi all,

Just a mention for my company, Vestas aircoil.

We manufactured the very first marine diesel engine scavenge air cooler (Charge air Cooler) for B&W back in 1956. We still produce them today for large engine builders. Water mist catchers too.

Be happy to answer questions!

Andy
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

Okay I'll shoot with a question.

ACC plus to clean an air cooler.
It recommends dilute ACC with a ratio of water and to flush for 4-6 hours, and here's the hypothetical:

The day is over and the flush hadn't been done long enough, so the flushing pump is stopped for the evening.
Next morning the flush is continued for the remaining X hours and then properly flushed with water etc etc.

I understand ACC is acidic - would leaving the air side dampened by diluted ACC over night could lead to corrosion, or would it be diluted sufficiently to not have to be too concerned about it.
astat101
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: UK

Post by astat101 »

Hi Revolver,

Ideally, you would clearly not want to leave anything acidic in contact with the fins, but in the scenario you describe, all should be well. The airside of the cooler is constantly in a "hostile environment" under operation after all *. I think you can relax.

Where in the world are you? What engines are you operating?

* The picture I attached shows a charge air cooler after continued use in conjunction with a faulty turbo. Exhaust gas was leaching into the air inlet. That is not so bad during operation, but at engine shutdown, the sulphur in the air stream, combines with the condensation that forms on the fins to produce sulphuric acid. The damage you see is on the air outlet face. The acid just sits on the lowest part of the cooler and rots it away as you sleep. The answer?; fix the turbo charger, make sure your airside filtration is good (OR leave the engine running 24/7!).
Air cooler after sulphuric acid "attack"
Air cooler after sulphuric acid "attack"
All the best

Andy Statham
Vestas aircoil
http://www.vestas-aircoil.com
[email protected]