Why Do Governments always go down this Corporate Route?

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Why Do Governments always go down this Corporate Route?

Post by Wyatt »

Interesting and disturbing all at the same time.
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/col ... story.html
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Why Do Governments always go down this Corporate Route?

Post by JK »

It is interesting to read.
Washington State Ferries, which operates under the state highways and transportation system and carries more passengers and vehicles (although with fewer vessels on generally shorter routes than in B.C.), runs efficiently with 43 managers — about one manager for every 40 workers.
This statement is comparing oranges to pears. It is a little different beast. What they should be comparing them to is the ferry system on the east coast that actually run ships as well. Oh wait! That is the other side of the Rockies, can't have that, if the article writer is ever aware that there are other ferries in Canada!
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Post by Wyatt »

I don't think the East/West comparison is valid. The Ferries on the East Coast are actually much more like Ships ready for deep sea service, while the Ferries on the West Coast are generally smaller with open decks on the majority of the runs. The Washington State Ferries are very similar in design and the runs are similar as well. The West Coast Large Ferries cannot operate in heavy seas, due to the bow door configuration and water tightness, (not existing). I think the comparison of the two Corporations were more along the lines of workforce disparities, managers to seafarers ratio's. But the gist of the story shows how the Corporate Mentality is mainly to grow in the Office Structure, not in the actual Vessel Structure, where all the actual revenue is being collected.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Thanks for the education. I know that BCFC big ferries are hauled off the run if the wind gets up, I had always assumed it was where they had to thread through.
They do get a lot of negative publicity. Personally I don't think there is a CEO out there who deserves the millions of $ of packages they get. Greed is the word though.