Russian Ship Adrift Off BC Coast,,,,,

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JFC
Mechanic

Russian Ship Adrift Off BC Coast,,,,,

Post by JFC »

All.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2805168

Incident started off the coast of BC last Thursday in regard to this small Russian Container Vessel.

Chumming the water for those concerned about the risks related to increased oil tanker traffic on the west coast.

Lots of pontification from many sectors speaking out about ships and shipboard operations that it is obvious to the professional mariners they know little or nothing about.......on both fore and against support sides!!

Enjoy!
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: Russian Ship Adrift Off BC Coast,,,,,

Post by D Winsor »

I wonder what some of those misinformed individuals would say when they learn that the container ship that brought their cell phones, computers and who knows what else through the same shipping lane to Vancouver or Seattle would most likely have had up to 20 times more fuel in their tanks.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

LOL Dave.
One of the papers had as a title: Broken Ship off of BC coast.
As we all know, the ship was not broken, it was an entire ship as the bow had not fallen off!
mentatblur
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by mentatblur »

I also live on vacouver island. The headlines anytime anything marine related occurs always make me giggle / cringe. You'd think the locals would know a little more, being victoria and all...

I constantly ask people how they plan on getting oil to the island sans tankers...all I get are blank stares. Apparently I'm the dumb one!
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Just a standard Salvage job, Lloyd's Open Form nothing remarkable.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I saw something about a faulty oil heater. Anyone know why the ship had no propulsion?

I was sitting at an Oak Bay bench, waiting for a friend, wearing my work clothes with isignia, when I was approached by an elderly gentleman who started ranting at me regarding the status of some SAR boat. I had no idea what he was talking about. Apparently it was near and dear to the people in the locale and I had sat down in the wrong place (for me). It took a lot of persuading to get him to understand that I had no idea what he was talking about and that I had abdsolute no ability to help him despite the insignia. Vancouver Island is special, there seems to be a lot of angry old men there.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I recall it being known as the land of the newly wed, over fed and nearly dead, when I lived there in the early '80s
Discourage incest, ban country "music".