Gondola Crane

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Gondola Crane

Post by JK »

I was reading on GCaptain about another 2 crewmembers killed in a lifeboat that plummeted 150 feet when the lifting arrangements failed in some manner onboard the Ensco-104 jack-up rig.

At the bottom of the page was a link to the delivery of the Quatum of the Seas and a video. In it it shows a gondola hanging from a MacGregor crane that passengers can admire the ship from. It swings 360*

http://hugin.info/135578/R/1714496/611723.jpg

The article at the MAcGregor site states that :
Royal Caribbean International's first Quantum Class cruise ship will feature a unique crane and viewing gondola supplied by MacGregor; the North Star will lift guests 91m above sea level to give them panoramic views of the sea and surrounding ports of call
MacGregor has won the contract to deliver North Star, an engineering marvel that takes guests to new heights with a jewel-shaped, glass capsule, transporting them on a spectacular journey more than 91 m (300 feet) above the ocean and over the sides of the ship to deliver awe-inspiring 360-degree views for Royal Caribbean International's first Quantum Class cruise ship, Quantum of the Seas. The crane's slewing function will also allow the viewing gondola to be swung out over the sea for a unique guest experience. The order was booked in the second quarter 2013 order intake.
and:
The gondola will be fitted with a stabilising system to ensure that it remains level with respect to the vessel's deck. It will also damp gondola movements, providing a comfortable ride for the guests.
and:
The system is designed for 100 percent redundancy with two separate power units, each large enough to drive the crane in reduced speed mode; it will also be provided with a diesel-driven emergency power pack. Additional safety features include automatic cut outs and safety valve overload protection on all crane motions. The crane is designed to standards set by German technical certification company, TÜV süd.
North Star will be controlled using a separate PLC safety system in addition to a MacGregor CC3000 crane control system. "The CC3000 provides excellent load control and can easily be adjusted with a laptop computer for different parameters, such as speed ramp times,"
http://www.cargotec.com/en-global/macgr ... 10-00.aspx

all I can say is, Holy shit! It just blows my mind. My second thought is picturing me gripping the door frame going in and screaming, nooooooooo!

Then again it is probably because I am presently doing some tech work with a crane designed to lift persons.
JFC
Mechanic

Re: Gondola Crane

Post by JFC »

It would be cool to fit the gondola with some kind of water cannon for washing down the ships side, and firefighting for cabin deck fires etc....

Cheers
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

ROTFL, now there is an engineer's mind at work; that crane has to be useful for something!
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

If it was a Deck Officer readings this, they would want Paint sprayers on the Gondola.......

B.P.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.