Letter to Federal Minister of Transport

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Letter to Federal Minister of Transport

Post by The Dieselduck »

Last month I wrote this letter to the Canadian Minister of Transport, I am not sure why, probably out of frustration of the many issues negatively impacting my career.
Honourable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport
307 Confederation Building
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6

Dear Minister Raitt,

Over the course of my 18 year career as a Marine Engineer, holding a Transport Canada Marine Engineering Certificate of Competency (a ship’s Engineering Officer), and sailing on commercial ships across Canada, I have observed firsthand the numerous challenges to the Canadian marine industry. One challenge that concerns me a great deal is that the high level of hurdles and complexity while progressing through the Transport Canada Certification of Seafarers process, compared to peer nations. Canada’s system is convoluted, lengthy, and a duplicitous system; its complexity has caused a major shortage of the highly specialized skills of Marine Engineers that Canadian ship operators are required to have.

This shortage is leading us to a situation where the viability of the marine industry, an industry that is critical to Canada’s economy, and that provides good, and real jobs is about to vanish. The shortage of Marine Engineers, the most acute of the related marine professions, contributes to the erosion and eventual downfall of Cabotage in Canada. The argument that Canada is short of properly licensed Ship’s Officers drive numerous initiative gaining popularity in Canada, and is directly endangering my lively hood, that of my peers, and the Canadian ship operators who employ our services.

As an active and concerned member of the marine industry in Canada, I propose that these are pressing issues that threaten the viability of our industry…

• the Canada Transportation Agency (CTA) and its mandate to only consider input from Canadian ship owners when granting Canada Coasting Trade Act waivers; despite these waivers having far reaching impacts to a multitude of stakeholders. They are now granting waivers for common types of foreign ships to operate in Canada, with alarming regularity.
• Temporary Foreign Worker Program is being used to undermine wages and conditions for Ship’s Officers in Canada. I understand it is currently being used in the crewing of the Officers onboard the Latvian flagged ship, MV Silja Festival, in Kitimat, BC. The Sijja Festival was granted a CTA waiver this past May, and is expected to operate in Kitimat for two years.
• Canadian-European Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA) which allows EU beneficially owned Flag of Convenience (FOC) vessels and so-called European National Flag to trade freely between Canadian ports, without any restrictions on origin of the crew, or level of wage and working conditions. This would be the official end of Cabotage trade in Canada.
• The fact that the large majority of my international peers, like those on the Silja Festival, pay no or little income taxes on foreign income earned on ships, which is not the case for Canadian residents. This puts my ability to compete, at a significant disadvantage on the global marketplace. With the Coasting Trade Act, this is not so much of an issue, but with the recent developments stated here, this is a major impediment to Canadian Ship Officer being competitive in the marketplace.
• But what troubles me most, and the main reason I write to you, at the suggestion of Ms Jean Crowder, Member of parliament (Nanaimo / Cowichan), is the cumbersome process we as professional Canadian seafarers, must endure to become certified in Canada, under Transport Canada’s Marine Safety Certification of Seafarer process; in particular the Marine Engineering profession.

I actually have no problems competing with foreign nationals on skills, even in my own backyard, but I have a huge problem with the uneven field we are expected to compete on; the licensing process is quite uneven.

I am currently certified as a Third Class Marine Engineer; I wish to move up, I am capable of moving up, I have the experience and competence, but the process is massive, cumbersome and unpredictable to be accomplished without a total sacrifice of our family life, which is not acceptable to us. The system in Canada is unlike any other international jurisdictions; not flag of convenience ones, but leading “white flagged” nations such as the Netherlands, Norway, Australia, etc. – all leading seafaring nations in their own rights.

I urge you to find out more. I would strongly suggest that you direct Transport Canada’s Marine Safety to implement a review of the Marine Engineering Certification process in Canada, and how it compares to peer nations in terms of attainability. In my experience having attained certification under the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, the Canadian way is considerably more complex than that of Australia’s, which fully conforms to the Standards of Watchkeeping and Certification (STCW) as directed by the International Maritime Organization (IMO).

Attached is an article describing my views on the certification process in Canada. It is part of a larger series of articles that explore the dilemma a Canadian professional seafarer is faced with under the Transport Canada system, which can be found here http://www.dieselduck.info/library/01 articles/career_development/index.html . I may sounds alarmist, and I apologize for the lengthy letter, but the inability for seafarers, in particular Marine Engineers, to “move up”, is a real problem affecting shipping in Canada.

I believe it is important to provide solutions, not just highlight problems. Towards that goal, I have encompassed numerous solutions into a fictional entity, a business model that, I hope would be attractive to industry. This “entity” is called Blue Riband and encompasses many separate, bold ideas that I envision, would provide a long term solution. If not, at least it’s a great place to start a discussion. If you are interested in this project presenting solutions to the human capital problem in Canadian shipping, please visit the website I created, to convey the ideas: www.blueriband.ca.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
The Dieselduck
Administrator

...her response

Post by The Dieselduck »

Here is the minister's response to my letter above...
Dear Mr. Leduc:

Thank you for your correspondence of September 23, 2014, regarding the current Canadian marine certification system. Please accept my apology for the delay in replying.

I should note that enhanced improvements within both marine certification and the level of professional competence of marine engineers will occur as result of the implementation of the International Maritime Organization and the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping 2010 Manila amendments.

Canada continues to educate, develop and employ the most educated and competent marine personnel through the use of approved education programs and training, including advanced simulation training.

With the advancements in marine engineering relating to new propulsion and ship-board technologies, including the use of dual fuel systems, the future is promising for marine engineering personnel in Canada.

I should note that the Canadian Transportation Agency is responsible for the administrative process associated with the determination of whether or not a suitable Canadian-registered vessel is available. This being the case, I have taken the liberty of forwarding a copy of your correspondence to Mr. Geoffrey C. Hare, Chair and Chief Executive Officer, Canadian Transportation Agency, so that he may address your comments pertaining to the scope of consultation.

The Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement will only liberalize certain targeted activities, specifically feeder services for international cargo on European Union-registered vessels and only between the ports of Montreal and Halifax. I should also note that a European national flag does not exist. Vessel registration and flags are tied to individual European member states.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada will continue to determine if its requirements will apply to the use of foreign nationals on board vessels on a case-by-case basis. The current rules normally require that foreign crew members of vessels engaged in cabotage obtain a work permit. In light of the foregoing, I have taken the liberty of providing the Honourable Chris Alexander, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, with a copy of your correspondence.

Again, thank you for writing and providing me with your comments.

Sincerely,

The Honourable Lisa Raitt, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Transport

c.c. The Honourable Chris Alexander, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Citizenship and Immigration

Ms. Jean Crowder, M.P.
Nanaimo–Cowichan

Mr. Geoffrey C. Hare
Chair and Chief Executive Officer
Canadian Transportation Agency
Martin Leduc
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Re: Letter to Federal Minister of Transport

Post by The Dieselduck »

I was not happy with the boiler plate response, and pressed further for a review of the Certification process for Marine Engineers in Canada, and how it compare with peer nations and their programs. Here is the federal Transportation Minister's response, received yesterday.

Here's my reply...
Thank you Minister Raitt, your response to my September 23, 2014, has been received.
However, I feel the response to my request for a review of the Canadian Marine Engineering certification process has not been answered. For instance, you made reference to dual fuel engines, but realistically there is no Transport Canada training requirements that address this within the current system.

The intention in my original letter, was to request an appropriate review by a competent group of peers, of the commonly touted belief, reiterate in your letter, that “Canada continues to educate, develop and employ the most educated and competent marine personnel through the use of approved education programs and training, including advanced simulation training.” From my experience and perspective, we do not. We have tremendous demands (“red tape”) on the completion of Marine Engineering certification, much more than our peer nations, but these onerous and outdated requirements does not mean that our system is modern, and producing a high caliber of expertise. I believe there should be a review of Transport Canada’s Marine Engineering Certification process as it compares to peer nations, and steps taken to address the difference.

Yours sincerely,

Martin Leduc
...and here is the reply...
Dear Mr. Leduc:

Thank you for your follow-up email of December 11, 2014, which was further to our previous exchange of correspondence, regarding the Canadian Marine Engineering certification system.

With the assistance of other nations, Transport Canada has continued to develop and enhance the quality of marine examinations and training of Canadian seafarers through the Marine Personnel Regulations.

These Regulations are currently being amended, as mandated by the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) 2010 Manila. They will be available for viewing once they are published in the Canada Gazette, Part I by the end of 2015. Allow me to assure you that through the implementation of these upcoming amendments, the certification, training and examination requirements for Canadian marine engineers and seafarers will not only maintain, but also continue to enhance the quality of Canadian seafarers.

I appreciate your sharing your concerns with respect to the current Canadian Marine Engineering certification system. Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

The Honourable Lisa Raitt, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Transport
Martin Leduc
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

It is my opinion that our future as professionals Marine Engineers in Canada is a very bleak one; a vision reinforced with these boiler plate responses by leadership, that are grossly generic and lacking any specifics or passion.
Martin Leduc
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

LOL honestly Martin, what did you expect from this government.
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

...yeah I know, but I cant complain if I haven't tried to do something about it
Martin Leduc
jimmys
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Glasgow Scotland

Post by jimmys »

I was a chief engineer in the british system and Europe wrecked our system. Nothing left of it now. over the years since I joined the MN in the early sixties I sat for certificates a Class 2 motor first then a class2 steam, a class1 steam then a class 1 motor. All the docks and dockyards now empty. I am now retired thank goodness, and I will never work again. There is now a large backlash against politicians in UK nobody has any time for them some areas under 40% voting and large numbers want out of Europe. I dont think I will vote next time nobody to vote for.
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

I think "none of the above" needs to be included in all voting ballots - not voting just reinforces the status quo. These facade governments are dangerous and useless, everybody knows it, but there is no way to affect meaningful change - the current system exemplifies this.
Martin Leduc
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

If you're in Scotland or Wales you do Jimmy. Otherwise, vote ABC, anyone but conservative, whether they be blue, red, orange or purple conservative. Greens look good.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
jimmys
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Glasgow Scotland

Post by jimmys »

It has just happened in Greece about to happen in France, It very nearly took place at the Scottish referendum against the wishes of most of the politicians. Once the system of electing politicians falls into disrepute it is difficult to continue in its use a few more not to vote and it will fall. I am in South Glasgow at the moment, I live here. I walked down the banks of the Clyde at Braehead a few days ago. a shopping centre at one side flats at the other. There was at least six major shipyards in this area including John Browns, none now. Very little I recognize there. Just how good it all is I passed a food bank In Renfrew, This is where the poor go to get free food I bought four tins of beans and took them in to help. They did not want them they had plenty beans. This is what we are reduced to now .
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Your choice is obvious then Jimmy. :) ABC, anyone but conservative, whether they be blue, red, orange or purple conservatives.

SNP looks good there.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
shiphotos
Bilge Dweller

Post by shiphotos »

The Minister stated, "The Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement will only liberalize certain targeted activities, specifically feeder services for international cargo on European Union-registered vessels and only between the ports of Montreal and Halifax."

I have read through the section dealing with shipping and I can find no specific reference to these "targeted activities".

"Feeder services means the pre- and onward transportation of international cargo by sea, including containerized, break bulk and dry/liquid bulk cargo, between ports located in a Party. For greater certainty, in respect of Canada, feeder services may include transportation between sea and inland waters, where inland waters means those defined in the Customs Act." From the Agreement.

International Maritime Transport Services - the entire text of the agreement.
http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-ag ... x?lang=eng

From the Customs Act. Definition of Inland Waters:
“inland waters” means all the rivers, lakes and other fresh waters in Canada and includes the St. Lawrence River as far seaward as the straight lines drawn

(a) from Cap-des-Rosiers to the westernmost point of Anticosti Island, and

(b) from Anticosti Island to the north shore of the St. Lawrence River along the meridian of longitude sixty-three degrees west;

Who to believe?