This is not the UFC

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.

Do you think this forum should have a "no holds barred" area?

Yes
5%
No
63%
Perhaps, but with some limits
32%

Total votes: 19

The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

This is not the UFC

Post by The Dieselduck »

Once in a while, as administrator of this website, I am forced by my own judgment to edit some comments, or outright delete them as I feel they are not really intended to bring the Marine Engineering community any real value. Sometimes I am asked by those "involved" in these comments to have them removed.

I don't believe in censorship, and I do not like removing or altering someones comments about issues they felt compelled to bring to the community. I believe information should be freely exchanged as much as possible no matter what; for the greater improvement of ourself as professionals and our community in general.

I want to take this opportunity to request your civility and composure when passing on insight about employers, regulators or fellow seafarers. Please keep in mind, criticism is an important part of development but is sometimes hard to hear - we have all been there. I would appreciate it, that if your are planning to discuss issues, that you comment on the policies (behaviors or action) rather than personal character traits of the individuals perceived to be involved.

Some individuals or organizations are assholes, some just are, and deserve to be dressed down in public, but hopefully you will choose another audience to do it in front of. I don't believe it is professional, nor is it in the solidarity spirit of this website or our marine engineering community.

Please feel free to comment on this topic below.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

yes but with some small limits,
No personal attacks, critic yes, but no mentioning the size of my ears.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Some individuals or organizations are assholes,
This made me laugh!!

But I agree with you fully Martin.
A Moderator is always required to do a little editing, or you would never have peace on a Forum.
It is too easy to misinterpete the written word ( especially if it is spelled as bad as my posts are) and get the collective knickers in a knot.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

On the money

Post by Dieseldame »

Martin, as usual you are right on the money with your comments. I like the forums because they are professional with a good dose of humor thrown in. I hear enough ranting at work. I say get on with it already.

The forum is so well run that I sometimes forget the amount of work that goes into keeping it up and running. Reading every post, geez what a task. Do you ever get a holiday? I would be happy to help out this this task from time to time if that makes any sense for you and forum.

DD
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Thanks

Post by The Dieselduck »

Thanks DieselDame, I appreciate that. No I haven't been on vacation for about four years now, but that has more to do with two young children rather then upkeep of the site. Luckily, the site is pretty self sufficient for the most part, or requires smaller sections of time, 20 minutes here and there. That's why the big updates are far in between on the main site, they require 2-3 hours per idea to develop. Like I said before, the best help is here, and perhaps posting on the The Monitor otherwise, things are pretty good, thanks for the support.
Martin Leduc
The Dieselduck
Administrator

What I've learned as I've matured as a Marine Engineer

Post by The Dieselduck »

I was just perusing the Officer's Lounge when I saw this little gem, which is pretty appropriate for this post.

What I've learned as I've matured as a Marine Engineer :

I've learned that no matter how much I care, some people are just assholes.
I've learned that it takes years to build up trust, and it only takes suspicion, not proof, to destroy it.
I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think.
I've learned that you can keep vomiting long after you think you're finished.
I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, unless we are celebrities, politicians or are deck officers.
I've learned that regardless of how great and exciting a new ship is at first, the passion fades, and there had better be a lot of money to take its place.
Martin Leduc
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I've learned that you can keep vomiting long after you think you're finished.
And right about then, your main engine will go down on low LO pressure. And it is really hard to care at that point in time.
Tomorrow's Winner
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Scotland

Post by Tomorrow's Winner »

I agree that some posts may need censored. The best way to self censor is to write how you feel, including any references to the person(s) in questions hygine issues, paternal tracability, social skills and indeed if they are fit to clean manure of your oldest gardening shoes, then instead of pressing send, switch the machine off.
Go and do something you enjoy, visit the local watering hole and explain to anyone you dragged with you, or that looks like they might be listening the whole problem. Only after 24hrs return to the computer and have a second try with a clearer mind. Just remember once you press send or submit that it is out there, in black and white for all to see for as long as anyone cares to look.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Re: This is not the UFC

Post by JK »

TW, excellent advice to follow when you have just pounded out a response to an infuriating email that questions your professional judgement or demands why you haven't looked deeply enough into your crystal ball to foresee that the ship will miss sailing because some piece of obscure equipment has decided it is time to end its 40 years of faithful service and self-destruct.
winhlaingoo
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Myanmar

Post by winhlaingoo »

I believe that some posts should be deleted as they are not suitable for anyone. But, I would like to give u an advice. I think it would be better to have a sub forum for young engineers as their questions are so easy (like me). :mrgreen:
I also would like to say THANKS for some posts as they are very useful for me. So, it would be very nice if u can make a Thank Button like some forum sites.( if I write thanks for posts , the forum will be full of thanks, :mrgreen: it is not good to be full of thanks words as they can’t give any information to anyone)
Mike_88
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Vancouver, British Columbia

Post by Mike_88 »

winhlaingoo brings up a good point. It would be nice to have a thanks button.
philipandrews1
First Time Poster
Currently located: Chicago

Post by philipandrews1 »

i have been to many forums. and i think, having 2 extra threads is necessary. 1 for locked topics to go, including no sense topics. 1 is for the general blurbs, anything goes thread, for jokes, rants, and other 'with sense' posts but not maritime stuff. my 2 cents.
now in training.