The age of steam

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

The age of steam

Post by Big Pete »

https://www.hooky.co.uk/about-us/steam-engine.ashx

A link to the website of an old English Brewery I have visited, still operated in the Victorian style.
Especially for JK who likes old steam engines.
It is good Beer as well which also appeals to most Engineers!
BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: The age of steam

Post by JK »

:lol: I'm sure you went to the brewery specifically to see this engine for me!
It sounds like an interesting tour. I'm trying to round up a bunch here to tour the vineyards. You hop on a bus, go to the first place, tour, sample, get on the bus to the next place, tour, sample...you get the picture. No steam engine tho.
The most important question is, how's the beer?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

*perks* Vinyard tour? I have been known, on occasion, to imbide in a wee wet....
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

right up your alley JJ, a double decker bus!

http://www.wolfvillemagicwinerybus.ca/
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

The decker looks like from this neck of the woods, an old AEC /Leyland perhaps? Nice shade of pink though. Best ashore trip of a brewery I had was in the Grenadines , super 1880 's old steam engine and even more super Rum, really nice rum made from the steam engine. What a combination indeed. And they have open toppers deckers over there. PS, don't forget the sunglasses and your bearing scraper, work for both here!
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Army LCTs hauled a new boiler to Bowmore distillery in the isle of Islay. The crew were treated to a tour of the distillery and a wee dram....or 3

Here's a 5-part account of the event, featuring HMAV Arezzo, L4128.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwthQbj ... D9&index=1
Last edited by JollyJack on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Watched your 5 part film, scary stuff especially part five, I always thought these Tupperware dishes dropped the stern door onto the beach and not stood off so far? Hope the poor old Gardener in the Foden was ok, lowdown air cleaners / water = S shaped rods? Don't envy you on those years aboard such as skidder.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Great times! 36 of a crew, we got into all sorts of places, got up to all kinds of things. Civvie jobs were not all that uncommon, we had the capability of landing heavy stuff on a beach or slipway. Draught Fw for beaching was 5'6 and the ramp was 40' long.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Thirty six crew? You must have been hot bunking big time here. The new giant container ships don't have that many. You sure about that? Looking at the accommodation it appears to me that you all would have been standing to attention at all times including charging your batteries overnight upright instead of in your bunk. Why 5'6 to unload? Surely the draught increased when offloaded? What about winches and kedges? Thought you dropped a couple of kedges when approaching and winched her off via snatchblocks if necessary to double up/treble up on the pull?