SCTW10 Discussion

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

SCTW10 Discussion

Post by JollyJack »

Please note, the position of ETO will not exist until 1 Jan 2017, when STCW 10 comes into force. (I'm still writing the exams for it!)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
tintean
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by tintean »

Briefly; what changes will STCW 10 bring?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

From reading the Manila Amendments, the biggest change that I can see as it affects serving Engineers, is that the qualifying service for renewal has changed. Right now, to renew a CoC, you need 3 months service in the last 12 months, or 12 months in the last 5 years. The 12 months in 5 years doesn't change, but the 3 months has to be in the last 6 months, instead of the last 12, under STCW 10.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

JollyJack wrote:From reading the Manila Amendments, the biggest change that I can see as it affects serving Engineers, is that the qualifying service for renewal has changed. Right now, to renew a CoC, you need 3 months service in the last 12 months, or 12 months in the last 5 years. The 12 months in 5 years doesn't change, but the 3 months has to be in the last 6 months, instead of the last 12, under STCW 10.
Wow, 3 months in the last 6. You wouldn't want to get in a car accident or get really sick because you'd be scrued
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

That's one way to get rid of or force engineers who only want to part time or relieve to work full time or make sure engineers who's license is up for renewal will not be taking vacation for the last 3 months before Winter Lay-up on the Lakes. I'm sure that time served during Lay-up and Fit-out won't count.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

If you're signed on Articles, the time is Qualifying Service from the day you sign on til the day you sign off. 3, 4 or even 6 month trips are common the the world of Merchant shipping world wide. I know local, coastal workboats have unhappy crews if they've been off the wall more than a week, but that's hardly Seafaring, is it?
JK
Enduring Contributor

Re: SCTW10 Discussion

Post by JK »

I thought that it was important not to have these posts buried in the job section so I split them to a new thread. Unfortunately I managed to lose the original TeeKay job posting.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re:

Post by D Winsor »

JollyJack wrote:If you're signed on Articles, the time is Qualifying Service from the day you sign on til the day you sign off. 3, 4 or even 6 month trips are common the the world of Merchant shipping world wide. I know local, coastal workboats have unhappy crews if they've been off the wall more than a week, but that's hardly Seafaring, is it?
JollyJack
I'm sorry to read that you don't consider working on the Lakes as "Seafaring".
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor

Re: Re:

Post by JK »

D Winsor wrote:
JollyJack wrote:If you're signed on Articles, the time is Qualifying Service from the day you sign on til the day you sign off. 3, 4 or even 6 month trips are common the the world of Merchant shipping world wide. I know local, coastal workboats have unhappy crews if they've been off the wall more than a week, but that's hardly Seafaring, is it?
JollyJack
I'm sorry to read that you don't consider working on the Lakes as "Seafaring".
Don't take it to heart. That was actually a dig against another fleet. It wasn't all that long long ago that those crews were away 300 days a year with no leave system.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

:) But you love me really, doncha? :)
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »