Mutiny and ER fight

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: Mutiny and ER fight

Post by Merlyn »

Seeing a photo of the poor old ship "Benita " reminded me of the tanker "Point Law " wrecked on the channel ilse of Alderney in 1975 when I was there on a ship.
Hearing that the Shell Mex tanker Point Law had steamed through a maze of rocks without incurring any damage and thence into the side of Alderney was quite something to say the least.
She had steamed just like the Benita at full speed and right up over the rocks ,in her case impaling herself and as such was declared a total loss.
Crew were saved by the lifeboat, the reason for her total loss?
Drink.
The skipper lost his licence and was found dead five weeks later.
It took two years for the rough seas around Alderney to break her up and stuff all the polished steel etc into hundreds of rock crevices on the island
It was as if someone had cut the ship into little pieces and packed them meticulously into the holes.
You could walk to the edge of a sheer cliff and almost look down the funnel.
All that was left within two years was the main Polar engine, box and propshaft at low water.
Not a nice sight seeing her break up.
I see the Benita has two tugs attached to her 24/7 steaming slowly ahead to try and stabilise her.
Talk of explosives being used, never heard of that one before.
All oils has to be helicoptered off the ship so major, major bucks once again here.
Hope she gets off without having her bow blown off.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
pac22ken
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Miami Fl.

Post by pac22ken »

1975... a very good year. Can't remember all the gory details of the year ..terrible mens hairstyles..when i look at old photos...but recall docked alongside a Blue Star ship in an Australian port..i tink it was the "Wellington Star". Got invited to a party onboard.. the Officers bar was a freakin nightclub. They had a stage for strippers to perform. The girls stayed on the ship for the ~ two weeks on the Australian coast to do "service work' between GoGo shows.
I do recall having a drink with Cap't. at the bar... with his G&T feeling very chuffed at hosting a such great party.
Das the way it was.... until the new normal !
Fast forward 20 years...releiving on a Laker mid 90s...some snitch saw a beer can in the garbage....up to the Wheelhouse !
A cabin search ..no warning , no search warrant... cabins torn apart by the search party...two guys off in the next port.
Funny thing is if everyones booze hadda been found half the crew wudda been off ..an the Ship probly couldn't have sailed.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Can't wait for part two of the " service work "
Didn't think they allowed girls in the engineroom back then.
No wonder you stuck it at sea, wasn't the rolling briny after all.
So it's true what they say then, " it will draw you further than gunpowder will ever blow you. "
( Crumpet that is )
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I sailed with an oiler who you wouldn't know was a drunk until he run out of booze.
Someone in the office called another ship to say there was a drunk on the way down the dock. That fireman was sober, he just couldn't walk a straight line after a lifetime at sea.
Another ship was due to sail and singled up . Last couple of fellowsup the gangway had dogs, the gangway was pulled up halfway and the search was underway for stashes of illicits
Bizarre happenings, lit fires in the garbage which was stacked below the deck with aviation fuel, a steward putting a change of clothes in a garbage bag, getting in his immersion suit and jumping over the stern and paddling for land. In the Arctic.

I'll let the last couple of posts stand but i will pull them if they get any more graphic in nature.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Another one of life's unanswered questions then.
JK
Enduring Contributor

MV Benita Re-Floated in Mauritius

Post by JK »

Thanks to Merlyn for sending this over.
Salvors refloated the MV Benita Sunday more than a 5 weeks after the ship ran aground off Mahebourg, Mauritius.

As of Sunday afternoon the vessel was being towed to a position some 20 miles off the coast, where a skeleton crew will remain on board in order to assess the vessel’s seaworthiness and general condition, according to international salvage firm Five Oceans Salvage. Appropriate evacuation procedures are in place to ensure the safety of those on board should conditions deteriorate.

The Liberian-flagged MV Benita ran aground June 17 after an incident involving one of the crew members, who reportedly attacked other crew members before locking himself inside the engine room, damaging equipment and resulting in the ship losing propulsion. Weather was factor throughout the salvage, with two tugs connected to the Benita at all times to prevent it from running aground even further.

Prior to Sunday’s re-floating, the salvage focussed on removing the bunker fuel, lubricant oil and other pollutants on board. Cargo tanks and void spaces were sealed before being pressurized prior to the re-floating attempt. Throughout the operation, the protection of the environment remained top priority.
For photos go to:
https://gcaptain.com/mv-benita-re-floated-in-mauritius/
JK
Enduring Contributor

ALANG bound

Post by JK »

The Benita is a constructive loss and bound for ALANG....if she makes it.
Thanks Merlyn for the link

https://gcaptain.com/tow-to-alang-shipb ... ain.com%29