New LNG Problems

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

New LNG Problems

Post by TxMarEng »

Has anyone been involved with a new LNG delivery? Seems you can't pick up an issue of Tradewinds without finding a story regarding problems with containment systems/insulation. Latest involved BP new builds. I believe the yards in both Korea and China are cranking these ships out far to quickly with regards to their complexity. This bad press only makes it harder for new LNG terminals to get built once the un-informed hear of these stories.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Post by Wyatt »

Hey, if there is a problem, keep everyone informed. I agree with you, all the periodicals show endless stories and pictures of LNG carriers, and it makes you feel secure that things must be safe. I have always wondered what it is actually like on board these mammoth bombs. What precautions are in place to pump this product ashore etc. I am sure that if one of these ships blew up, the whole world would know about it, but I have yet to hear about this. The containment system must be very stressful for the engineers, for I am sure it is the engineers that must deal with this, just like it is the engineers that must deal with these oily water seperators that can't measure oil or coffee. But it is up to us to ensure that oil does not go overboard.
Cheers
Wyatt