1. All hose is to be made of a long hole, surrounded by rubber centered around the hole. Holes are permitted on the outside as long as they fit circumferentially over the cover.
2. All hose is to be round and hollow throughout the entire length.
3. All hose is to be of the very best quality stuff, preferably tubular or hosular stuff.
4. All acid-proof hose is to be made of acid-proof rubber so the un-acid-proof holes won't fall through the very best stuff.
5. The ID of the hose must NOT exceed the OD, otherwise the hole will be on the outside of the hose.
6. All hose is to be supplied with nothing in the hole so that water, steam, or other stuff can be put inside at a later date.
7. All hose is to be supplied without abrasions, cuts, gashes, or gouges as these can be more readily added in the flex hose shop or on the ship.
8. All hose tubes are to be cleaned free of covering such as mud, tar, barnacles or any form of manure before the outer cover is added, as these objects will make the cover lumpy. The result is lumpular hose.
9. All hose over 500 feet in length but less than two miles must have the words "LONG HOSE" clearly painted on each end so that the pipefitter will know that it is a long hose. Hose over 2 miles in length must also have these words painted in the middle so that the pipefitter will not have to walk the entire length of the hose to determine if it is a long hose or not.
10. All hose over 6 inches in diameter is to have the words "LARGE HOSE" painted on it, so that the pipefitter will not use it for a small hose.