El Faro letter to NTSB

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: El Faro letter to NTSB

Post by JK »

As soon as I see open lifeboats on a ship like this, it pretty well says all about the company and regs to me.
It was going back to work in the north, came from Alaska before this, but they never spent the million $ to give them a closed boat on a modern gravity davit, and not expected to by Class or USCG. It is a complete failure of everyone concerned and hung on the CO.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I find it hard to believe that all was done to prevent such a tragedy. Indeed, a closed lifeboat may have not been required, but indeed, seeing that on a ship today, certainly says allot about the company.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Martin, those guys wouldn't have gotten off the ship IMO. The boats tell me that the davits were old rule, they wouldn't been able to launch with the list. Maybe not with modern davits either, they would have been in liferafts. When we go to sea, we accept risks that are unacceptable in any other industry. Sea going personnel are the most fatalistic people I know, one bad moment and and that's it, hopefully you can get into an immersion suit so your body can be found for your family.
JJ is completely right. No body cares except for the families, replacements are available with a call to a agent and insurance covers the equipment.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Interview with book author.

Post by JK »

This is an Interesting interview that touches on several points alluded to in the forum by different posters.

http://gcaptain.com/interview-with-el-f ... 7ac07886e0