It's all about perspective!

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

It's all about perspective!

Post by JK »

I was sorting through old work photos the other day and came across this one. It was in with a batch of photos of model tests in an ice tank. I looked at it for a bit wondering what they were doing. I came to the conclusion it was a lightbox with a model of a bow and a notch in the ice.

model.jpg

I sent it to a coworker who would have some thoughts on model testing and asked him on a phone call, because now I am really curious. He looked at it and rotated it 90* and said, it looks like flame cut steel in the shape of a bear and there's someone standing beside it.

bear.jpg

I took the original photo, turned it 90*, looked at it, started laughing and said, it's the Algoma bear!!

Because it had been in with pictures of icebreaker model testing, in my engineer's one track mind it had to be the same topic. Sending it out of context to someone else made it a bear. Somewhere there must be a life lesson there LOL.

http://www.algonet.com/wp-content/uploa ... banner.jpg
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: It's all about perspective!

Post by D Winsor »

Over my years working for Algoma or "The Bear" as it is sometimes referred I have seen a number of different renditions of the "Bear" but this one is unique 8)
I wonder who the artist was?
One particular rendition occurred when a crew member made sure, while painting the Bear Logo, that everyone knew that the Bear was a male. Oddly Management was "Not amused" especially after the vessel passed through a lock with a public viewing platform with the modification plainly visible. :shock: :shock:
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: It's all about perspective!

Post by JK »

I would guess it would be from the 80's going by the batch it was in with. It would be the first "selfie" I think.
That must be 3" plate, minimum. Icebelt steel. That is one expensive bear!