700 billion shipbuilding plan?

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

700 billion shipbuilding plan?

Post by JK »

Trumps shipbuilding plan for an increased Navy could cost nearly $700 billion in government funding, take 30 years to complete and require hiring tens of thousands of skilled shipyard workers - many of whom don't exist yet because they still need to be hired and trained, according to the interviews and the documents reviewed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... SKBN16O142
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: 700 billion shipbuilding plan?

Post by The Dieselduck »

Absolute madness...
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

could be lots of jobs for Canadians with the right skills, so long as he doesn't build a wall along the Canadian Border!!

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

We can't even get our own up and running without bringing in temp foreign workers. The whole concept is a mess.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

JK wrote:We can't even get our own up and running without bringing in temp foreign workers. The whole concept is a mess.
How much of the High priced "American" help brought in to manage "Our" programs will disappear?
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

The whole problem, IMO, is the federal/provincial split.
The feds bring in programs such as the shipbuilding plan, or new regulations.
The provinces are responsible for the training and apprenticeship plans.

The two don't seem to match up because of, dare I say, bureaucratic bungling, funding, getting programs into the trade schools and other random incompetent souls involved. Then it becomes a Irving tale of woe that they have to bring in TFW to do work because there is no one capable of doing it. This is interior work and there is a very capable company in Dartmouth who does this. Maybe they aren't big enough....but....but...Irving managed to build 9 ship for the CG with no TFW. Go figure.

I have no idea of the specifics for the US, and only a fuzzy understanding of here in Canada.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

JK wrote:The whole problem, IMO, is the federal/provincial split.
The feds bring in programs such as the shipbuilding plan, or new regulations.
The provinces are responsible for the training and apprenticeship plans.

The two don't seem to match up because of, dare I say, bureaucratic bungling, funding, getting programs into the trade schools and other random incompetent souls involved. Then it becomes a Irving tale of woe that they have to bring in TFW to do work because there is no one capable of doing it. This is interior work and there is a very capable company in Dartmouth who does this. Maybe they aren't big enough....but....but...Irving managed to build 9 ship for the CG with no TFW. Go figure.

I have no idea of the specifics for the US, and only a fuzzy understanding of here in Canada.
JK You know why the Dartmouth Business or any other company like it didn't get the work is that "Irving doesn't own or could buy the business". So there is no advantage in not being able to "Sell" to themselves basically shifting money from one pocket to another.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I forgot about that aspect and being from Saint John, aka Irvingland, I know it very well. Irving buys Irving. There's an approved sellers list that has to be used for purchases and employees will be fired if they don't without a pretty good reason. If Irving is using a company more than their own, they will buy it. ( or maybe kill it?).

I was asked in complete seriousness by a new employee from outside the country why everyone was afraid of Irving . LMAO. Where do you even start explaining NB ?!
Irving is woven into the fabric and politics of the province , there's a class structure, unseen but there, of a few powerful families, and media control. Twitter and social media is taken media control out of their hands, but they'll figure it out to make it work for them.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I remember in the early days of the CPF programme in St John, we used Foxbase as a database system. Irving needed a desk computer on every desk in the drydock and the only supplier, at that time (80s) was a company called Commercial Equipment. Irving placed a huge order for desktops, monitors, printers, keyboards etc etc and CE ordered them from their suppliers, on the usual 90 day credit. Irving took delivery (I had a brand new desktop and monitor), but didn't pay CM. At 120 days, CM went bankrupt and Irving paid 10c on the dollar to buy them out. After that, Commercial Equipment was an Irving company.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Oh yeh, you have to have deep pockets to deal with Irving. They're notorious for paying invoices in that manner. Where you in Saint John during the wood chip battle, JJ? Some fellows gathered a monstrous pile of wood chips on the dock between the sugar refinery and Pugsley wharf. They were going to ship it out to a buyer. Through the hoops and reels they ended up without it. I think everyone saw that coming.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

No, missed that one.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".