Re-assembly

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Re-assembly

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

Have a look at this and if anyone thinks they can do it for a main engine of even a purifier please contact me. :lol:

http://geekologist.com/blog/2008/08/06/10dvideo/
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I admit it, I laughed when the camera exploded. I worked on an engine that did that.

It was an amazing video. I wonder if they used ACAD 3D to do the reassambly.
It could be a huge benefit for the guys who misassemble purifiers :lol:
(Manuals, who needs them)
kotik
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Motala, sweden

Post by kotik »

It just says "No video" for me...Something I have done wrong?

A seperator dont contain that much parts, much more parts in a control console or a engine regulator.
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Separators

Post by TxMarEng »

They may not contain many parts however, they do require careful handling and assembly. I had the opportunity to witness some destructive tests at the Mitsubishi separator plant in Kawasaki City Japan back in the 70's. They (MKK) were the first to subject each machine to testing on a gyro table. It was in a big concrete pit in the floor of the assembly hall and I can say there were a few big chunks missing. Separators are no place for a "hammer jockey".

Keep the lights burning on watch ~ and don't try to dazzle the Chief with any fancy footwork!
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

What would you hope to learn from watching a purifier self destruct?

It is hard enough to keep the instruction manuals clean and readable on a ship, never mind providing a laptop to be used in the purifier room during overhauls.

I dont mind the 'Hammer jockeys' working on the purifier, just so long as the locking ring is going in the correct direction.
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

For those of you wishing to copy the idea, the following programs where used.

CAD work was mostly Pro/Engineer 3.0 with a little SolidWorks while the animation was done using Autodesk 3D Studio
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Purifier Gyro testing

Post by TxMarEng »

The tests were not meant to be destructive although for engineering purposes some units are pushed to destruction for research. The gyro table was initiated to subject the separators to actual sea conditions of pitch and roll to evaluate the effects on a high speed rotational mass.

As for lining up the locking ring and hammer jockeys, Alfa Laval has cured that with their bowl lid securing system. 8)
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Back to the camera. I was surprised at the parts in it.
I feel somewhat embarrassed that I started to take my work camera apart in the vain hopes of the self-focusing lens magically starting to automatically focus again.
I was more then lucky to get it back together again :oops:

Needless to say, it was more then dead after the experiment, but now I have a 12x zoom :twisted:
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Like it ?

Post by The Dieselduck »

If you are into these types of computer generated graphics, you can download a deutz high speed diesel (automotive) screen saver, being built just like the camera, you can also check out you tube for the video of it. That one can be found in the machinery section of the website, under "downloads".

Also, just uploaded a neat video from Voith, which uses this type of illustration quite neatly. Download it form the corporate area of the video library.

Cheers,
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net